Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-May-2005, 20:59
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Mer .... easy to apply, let dry and simple to buff off. Will remove small scratches and does not leave swirls.
Old 16-May-2005, 20:59
Montjuic

Wow a polish that protects against stone chips!!!!. Must be good lol.
Old 16-May-2005, 21:02
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Care of Paint

The way that you keep a paint finish looking new is to have a cleaning routine that avoids scratching the surface. The best cleaner/wax to use is the one that has the finest abrasives and the deepest shine. I haven't tried them all, but I always go back to the plain, green inexpensive liquid Turtle Wax. It may not last as long through washings but I think it shines the best. Everyone has a favorite, that's mine.

But, the key to a mirror shine is the removal of fine hairline scratches, the ones you can see only in the bright sunlight. These are the ones you've put there when you've rubbed grime across the paint surface when you wash or clean the bike, or just simply rubbed against it. Just wiping the dust off the bike with a clean cloth will cause them. Your wash rag is the major source of the problem, so start your wash from the top and work down toward the dirtier surfaces. Rinse a lot.

The key to a museum-quality shine is in the technique used in the application of the cleaner and wax. In particular, you need to avoid making more fine scratches as you clean and polish-out the old ones. So to save you the time, here comes the tip from 40 years of experience...

THE TIP

Go to the pharmacy/chemist and get a roll of white cotton batting. You know, the material they wrap around your arm when they put it in a cast. Now, tear off a small piece, wet it with water, and squeeze it till it's only damp (important). Now, use it to apply your favorite cleaner or wax. Tease it apart frequently to reveal a fresh clean cotton matte surface, and throw it away when it gets slightly dirty with any embedded grime (most important). Polish with a well-laundered old cotton T-shirt. The roll of cotton will last for years and so will your new paint.
Old 16-May-2005, 21:09
Montjuic

Autoglym everytime, its the best!. as used by the motor trade worldwide.
Old 16-May-2005, 21:35

I use Autoglym stuff, always worked well for me. On the bodywork (this is when I got the bike) first a coat of the super resin polish, then a coat of the trade vesion which is less abrasive, last a couple of coats of the perfectionist finishing gloss, that stuff is incredible. Now really only need to use the gloss, occasionally will re-use the non-abrasive polish if any marks appear.

WD40 on the wheels and anywhere else there's greasy muck. Autoglym fast glass on the black plastics.
Old 16-May-2005, 21:52
Montjuic

Have you tried the' Instant Bike Shine' Pav. Its great for a quick polish when you come back from a ride, you can use on the Screen, paintwork, plastics and wheels. Just wipe on and wipe off , finish of with a Hi Tech Cloth. Job Done!.
Old 16-May-2005, 21:56
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
I use Mer on everything, screen, paintwork, carbon etc .... gives a great finish.
Old 17-May-2005, 00:46
GTL

I find the Autoglym "instant show shine" is brilliant to finish off with as well
Old 17-May-2005, 10:02
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
I've been using Plexus in the workshop for the last two years and personally about a year before that.
I've found nothing it won't shift, including chain lube that gunk wouldn't move, and works on just about every surface on the bike.
It's not cheap, but lasts a while and is quick to use. It doesn't mark carbon like silicon polishes either.