Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Apr-2005, 17:40
500SD

Mood: Sad my Membership icon has gone:(
Scary Incident

Had to go up to Hertfordshire today so as the 749S was just back from its first service and having had the Termi's fitted decided to give it an outing in the sunshine.

No problems on the way up, in fact it never missed a beat, sounded so much better I arrived with big grins.

On the way home came back M25 for quickness. Poodled through the road works at 40mph and as they cleared at the M3 opened it up to about 90ish. Suddenly the dash went blank and there was no power, me being in outside lane and other four very busy because of roadworks I flap my left arm like mad and grind to a halt in outside lane. **** behind does his best to try and knock me off.
I must say I was very shaken and quite worried being stuck in the outside lane with everything ging on around me. Quick check of everything, nothing untoward turn the key and it fires up first time. Struggle to get back in to traffic and take a much slower ride home whilst the heart beat returns to normal.

Anyone else experienced something similiar or any ideas as to what could have caused it?

Cheers

Jon
Old 11-Apr-2005, 17:41
Dibble

trade it for a 996
Old 11-Apr-2005, 17:51
Mille

Mood: bleedin ecstatic!
holy crap! at least your ok!!!

getting beyond a joke with these issues isnt it, what with front brakes seizing and it cutting out, and now a complete shut down, surely ducati cant go on without recognising some of these issues.

Could easily have been an off, if not worse. Hope it doesnt dent your confidence for too long, you get it serviced at Pro Twins? I take it your going back there?
Old 11-Apr-2005, 17:53
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Could be anything that really, battery terminal loose? did you get the amber light etc?

Seems odd, got to be something the dealer has done as it was OK before, or am I speculating to much here?
Old 11-Apr-2005, 18:33
Big Twin

Worrying to say the least - glad you're safe anyway. A check of as many connections as you can find, then a call to DL for their advice?
Old 11-Apr-2005, 18:39
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
I had the same thing happen to me when I got my bike, although thankfully not in the fast lane on a motorway. My problem was a stripped thread on one of the battery terminals after I'd had an alarm fitted by Ducati London South. The terminal was completely undone though, so it wouldn't restart. Might be a good place to start checking.

Glad you're still around to tell the tale

[Edited on 11-4-2005 by Wylie1]
Old 11-Apr-2005, 18:45
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Absolutely heart stoppingly scarey, I should think! Glad you didn't come to any harm and hope you are able to discover the problem quickly.
Old 11-Apr-2005, 18:57
Montjuic

Mood: Ecstatic
Jebus! Very scary, if it's a botch job by Ducati mechanics to adhere to warranty rules, it just goes to show we're better off taking bikes to a trusted mechanic. Unacceptable really that after fitting an alarm a dealer should leave you so vulnerable to an accident Wylie.
Old 11-Apr-2005, 19:17
888 at Last !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jobr
Had to go up to Hertfordshire today so as the 749S was just back from its first service and having had the Termi's fitted decided to give it an outing in the sunshine.

No problems on the way up, in fact it never missed a beat, sounded so much better I arrived with big grins.

On the way home came back M25 for quickness. Poodled through the road works at 40mph and as they cleared at the M3 opened it up to about 90ish. Suddenly the dash went blank and there was no power, me being in outside lane and other four very busy because of roadworks I flap my left arm like mad and grind to a halt in outside lane. **** behind does his best to try and knock me off.
I must say I was very shaken and quite worried being stuck in the outside lane with everything ging on around me. Quick check of everything, nothing untoward turn the key and it fires up first time. Struggle to get back in to traffic and take a much slower ride home whilst the heart beat returns to normal.

Anyone else experienced something similiar or any ideas as to what could have caused it?

Cheers

Jon

Chill tonight and have a big glass of something.

Clint.
Old 11-Apr-2005, 19:39
500SD

Mood: Sad my Membership icon has gone:(
Thanks for the replies.

Ran it for an hour or so whilst I was giving it a clean and it ran perfectly.

However to finish me off I then notice a big f@ck off screw in the rear tyre, put it down as not my day and have a beer, not going to get wound up.