Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Aug-2003, 11:16
thrustercat

Termignoni Chip - Bike Now Stalls at Low Revs

Chaps - help, I am in need of some advice ASAP as I am leaving for France next Thurs.

I have recently fitted a pair of Termignoni exhausts to by BP (45mm). I left the original BP chip on the bike for a week before I got round to installing the specific Termis chip. The bike ran fine on the BP chip, no problems whatsoever.

As soon as the chip was replaced, I immediately noticed the loss of power in first gear for half a sec, which I did not get with the BP chip.

Now when starting off in first gear I have rev the bike more than usual before I release the clutch for fear of stalling.

This happened to me a few times last night, drop down into second, pulled into a Pub...stall. Come out of a T-Junction, as I would normally....stall. What's going on??

Advice seriously appreciated. I am thinking about refitting the original BP chip on the Termis cans and wait until I get back from France.

[Edited on 15-8-2003 by thrustercat]

Old 15-Aug-2003, 11:23
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Is the new chip a DP one?

If it is, then there are supposedly better chips available from JHP, Sigma and the like. There were reports of problems similar to this on DP chips.

If you're in a hurry, I'd get on to JHP - 01676 542991 and get them to send you a chip for 45mm open termis.

I reckon it'll cost you around £30.

Alternatively, you could go for a FIM Ultimap chip which could be programmed specifically for your bike. I know that Sigma do these, but these are more expensive - probably around £130 and you may not have time to sort out, as they'll fit it and setup for your bike.

Some of the guys on here may have a chip they could send you in the meantime.

Good luck

Tim
Old 15-Aug-2003, 11:46
thrustercat

Thanks Rattler. Yes this is a DP chip. JHP have changed there number to: 02476 335300. I have given them a call, and unfortunately no-one is at the part and accessories section at the moment - will try later.

Unless anyone else out there has a decent chip they want to flog, let me know.

Old 15-Aug-2003, 13:28
Big Twin
Bikes: Kawasaki ZX10r D6f, Dawes XC2.4, Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon

Mood: aving a laff
TC
My 996 ran dodgy with a DP 45 chip after I fitted 50mm cans, I know its not meant for it but it was sunny.

Changed for a JHP 50mm one and it was still a bit rough, JHP said the chip was from a bad batch and swapped it. Nelly balanced the throttle bodies and tweeked this and that and it has run perfectly for 6 months and 6 days on track, until the head gasket went last week

Chip might be OK but you might need the throttle bodies sorting.
Might be better off to just have it checked first and if that clears it up it should be cheaper than a new chip.

Saying that the JHP chip is brilliant for mine, no flatspots or owt

Hope you get it sorted for your holiday.

Cant find my chip anywhere but know I have one somewhere, will dig it out for you if you want?
Let me know
Old 15-Aug-2003, 15:08
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

You need to adjust your idle mixture with the CO (carbon monoxide) trimmer. On this bike, the trimmer is a potentiometer located next to the EPROM chip socket inside the ECU. It has a range of about 3/4 turn, so be careful, if you try to turn it more, it'll break off. When you rotate the trimmer screw clockwise, the injector's duration is shortened so the mixture is leaned. Counterclockwise gives a richer fuel mixture. The default position is it's rotation mid-point.

The trimmer adds/subtracts a millisecond or so to each fuel pulse over the entire RPM range. So go easy, an eighth-turn on the screw is often all that's usually needed. Check the color of the inside of your tailpipes after a few hundred miles. They should be medium to dark grey, not black and sooty.

Alternatively, you can have your dealer adjust it using a CO analyzer. The factory manual calls out 1.5% CO for a stock bike to meet emissions regulations but goes on to say that best power is realized when full-throttle CO is in the 4-6% range. I have set mine to 4% at idle but I may experiment with lower values based on the advice from a couple of tuners. Your new exhaust system has likely placed you outside this range and the idling behavior has suffered.
Old 15-Aug-2003, 15:46
Big Twin

Give Nelly a call or find a local dealer who knows what they are doing.
I dont condone doing it yourself unless you know what you are doing.
Let the trained bods do it with the proper equipment.
Shazaam may know how to do it but a virgin twiddler may do more damage than good to the running of the bike???
My opinion only.
Old 15-Aug-2003, 17:01
thrustercat

Thanks Shazaam for the education, and Yella for the advice; now stored in long term memory for future reference. I will keep the throttle bodies in mind as well as adjusting my idle mixture in the ECU unit.

I managed to get hold of JHP and I have explained the symptoms in great detail, they seem to think it's related directly to the chip itself - can't argue with the experts.

I have ordered a replacement chip which will be programmed and sent out to me on Monday. Thanks to Rattler for JHPs number - your a star!
Old 15-Aug-2003, 21:59
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
The only problem with putting a chip in the post is the scanning machine used by the post Office. It wipes the chip clean, bugger.
Old 15-Aug-2003, 22:15
Big Twin

You been on the pop Andy
Old 16-Aug-2003, 00:19
Ducati Corse

thrustercat,you have a u2u.