Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Mar-2005, 14:38
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
Well the R's don't use the same calipers, as you know

Sure its all the same for the 999 bip and the S ? But not the R :P But why only 749
Old 24-Mar-2005, 14:45
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
If we're talking about a batch of faulty parts there is an explanation. The way the factory works, it builds certain numbers of bikes at a time. One possibilty is that it was 'UK 749' day at the factory. They were building Darks, Bips and Ss for the UK market and during that time the pallet/box/crate of faulty parts is delivered to the assembly line. As the bikes are built it's a random call as to which bike gets a faulty part. For example, mine seems to have get a faulty RHS calliper but necroscope has got a faulty LHS and RHS.

It's probably a small number of bikes that have been affected, but 3 on this site makes it relatively common.

As far as I'm aware, all 749/999 models use the same braking setup except the 'R' models have the radial callipers. I think they all use the same master cylinder and discs?
Old 24-Mar-2005, 14:58
Big Twin

I've just spoken to DM and my brakes got sent to the factory last week. However, the factory has now passed them on to Brembo...

So I'm still no closer to finding out exactly what was at fault, or what Ducati are prepared to do about my damaged bike. I guess at least another week will have to pass while they (and Brembo) work something out.

On the plus side, Ducati UK have agreed to supply me with a loan bike (if my insurance will cover it). I'm going to check that out now but it looks like I'll have an '03 Monster 1000 to tide me over
Old 24-Mar-2005, 15:05
500SD

Mood: Sad my Membership icon has gone:(
At least its good news on the loan bike if a bit slow in MHO.

Trouble is with Easter now its likely to drag again and you want answers.
Old 24-Mar-2005, 15:08
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by Twinfan
On the plus side, Ducati UK have agreed to supply me with a loan bike (if my insurance will cover it). I'm going to check that out now but it looks like I'll have an '03 Monster 1000 to tide me over

Wahey!! About time!!

At least you now know that they are taking action. To be honest if it was a faulty part then this is exactly the path it would have to take (give or take a few weeks ) so that's good news.

It's positive.
Old 24-Mar-2005, 15:11
Big Twin

Partial result then TF. Best of luck with the rest of it.
Does that mean others should expect - nay - demand, the same treatment?
Old 24-Mar-2005, 15:15
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Well if a loan has been offered I would say that has to be a good sign of some acceptance of fault IMO.
Old 24-Mar-2005, 15:25
Big Twin

Quote:
Well if a loan has been offered I would say that has to be a good sign of some acceptance of fault IMO

Well it's been given as a 'gesture of goodwill', which I am glad to recieve and happy to accept

If the brakes have been sent to Brembo, then to me that indicates that Ducati feel there is a fault with them. I guess Brembo will need to confirm that's the case, see exactly what the fault was, and see how big an issue the problem is. The interesting bit after that is 'who pays for my damaged bike'?????

necroscope - sorry for the thread hijack! I hope you get your bike sorted soon, which you should do given that you were lucky enough not to crash.
Old 24-Mar-2005, 15:48
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally posted by Twinfan
Quote:
Well if a loan has been offered I would say that has to be a good sign of some acceptance of fault IMO

Well it's been given as a 'gesture of goodwill', which I am glad to recieve and happy to accept

If the brakes have been sent to Brembo, then to me that indicates that Ducati feel there is a fault with them. I guess Brembo will need to confirm that's the case, see exactly what the fault was, and see how big an issue the problem is. The interesting bit after that is 'who pays for my damaged bike'?????

necroscope - sorry for the thread hijack! I hope you get your bike sorted soon, which you should do given that you were lucky enough not to crash.

no worries Twinfan, looks like the forum is doing it's job.
On the subject of insurance for the courtesy bike.... when I had the ECU replaced Hurst's offered me the R6 if I would sort out the insurance. However, my insurer's weren't interested, told me that it should be insured by the lender. Phoned Hurst's who after a bit erring and hmmming said ok. no problem. This time round Hurst's didn't even mention insurance. So, it could be down to DM, if your insurers don't play ball. Plus you can always mention that Hurst's in Belfast were happy (in the end) to cover the insurance. Seems to me that businesses always start of with a minimal offer and then you need to haggle!
Good luck!
Old 24-Mar-2005, 15:53
Big Twin

Cheers matey.

My insurers will cover me and another bike, but they won't cover a Monster Because it's classed as a roadster i.e. a different style of bike they won't cover it. Bizarre, as the bike is less power and worth less cash than my 749S!

I'm waiting to see what else DM can offer me, and it looks like they've just sold the Monster I was going to have anyway!