Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Jun-2005, 20:05
Mille

limiter - cut out

i have a carb model 900ss...i have only just bought it.

on two occassions now the bike has cut out under hard acceleration...once up a hill and once down. i thought at first it was fuel starvation but think i have hit the limiter in 2nd gear and the bike has just cut out....getting used to it having just sold my fireblade!

the dealer says thats what happens when the limiter is reached...seems a bit dangerous to me. japanese bikes just keep banging against the limiter until you change up. i wasnt watching the rev counter as there was quite a lot of traffic around (dual carriageway). just turning the ignition back on and letting the clutch out did nothing....i had to fiddle about with the plipper to disable the immobiliser.

what you folks think? the dealer is a highly respected dealer and have no reason to doubt what he is telling me, but i just think its dangerous...i know the Italians like to do things differently but...!!!
Old 24-Jun-2005, 20:47
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
my bike doesn't cut out when it hits the limiter.
as you say it just keeps banging against it
Old 24-Jun-2005, 20:58
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
dont sound right to me
Old 24-Jun-2005, 23:48
Mille

what to do then guys? do you think the dealer is feeding me a line? it sounds completely odd to me, but why would the dealer take such a risk as opposed to saying "lets have a look at it?"...when they have the bike anyway to fit a fuel sender part? just weird. even if they do do that, i would have thought turning the key to the "on" position and clogging down a gear would reinitiate it....so i wonder if the ignition going off means that the immobiliser is tripping straight away.
Old 25-Jun-2005, 12:18
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
just a dummy question ?
are you sure he understood you properly ?
as when I 1st read your post I thought yea that's what they do
it was only when you put it as a analogy (banging on the limiter) that I realised you meant it was cutting out full stop.
if not go somewhere else
Old 25-Jun-2005, 17:21
Mille

dunno, its a possibility...i sound like a bit of a numpty going back to him again. its not a problem i suppose now i know about it and need to adjust my riding style from in line four to big cubed twin! if anything, i reckon the immobiliser is kicking in straight away when the ignition is cut briefly...does that make sense?

think what i will do is get it to happen again on a quite piece of road and check it out properly and get the engine note sorted in my head and make sure i change up correctly. in the real world there aint nothing to be gained by pushing much past 8k anyway.

thanks for your input though guys. will update you when i experiment on it next. great motor...love it in a way i could never love my fireblade!
Old 25-Jun-2005, 18:11
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
OK...daft question time.
Have you actually confirmed that your bike being a carburettor model has a rev limiter??
I knowthat this function is done by the ECU on fuel injected bikes... I don't think yours actually has one.
Old 25-Jun-2005, 19:27
Mille

Mood: All SP'ed up at the moment
Don`t think the carbed bikes have a limiter, If they have I`ve never hit it on my SL even up past the redline
Also as you say you don`t gain anything past 8K, you have to get used to using the torque and not screaming it like a jap inline 4, and like all dukes they are deceptively quick

Ian
Old 27-Jun-2005, 22:11
Mille

your certainly right about having to adapt my riding style Ian. the reason i sold my blade cos i was fed up with chasing the high revs to feel like i was enjoying it when really i knew i was gonna lose my licence/life going 150mph everywhere!

so its quite strange that i am hanging onto the revs with the duke! anyways...gonna take me a little while to get in tune with the noise and change up by sound rather than eyeballing the rev counter.

tbh...i would find it hard to believe that my bike wouldnt have a limiter just cos its carbed....not to say that it does or it doesnt or that i dont believe you guys. i can imagine it having a limiter but not one that cuts out the way this one does. either way i aint bothered really...will make sure i change up some way before the red line...nothing gained hitting that anyway.