Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 23-Oct-2005, 00:40
Mille

Mood: On the mend!
Thanks Ducnow and Weeian.

I was under the impression the rod stays in, unless there are complications. Hope so as I want to get on with some physio. I've also got ligament damage in the knee. Can't spell crushiat so I'll stick with ligament for now. When do you think physio will start Ducnow? Am I being unrealistic? Not been counciled on it yet so really don't know the POA.

Weeian I remember everything. Except the few seconds between hitting the front corner of the tanker to hitting the ground. Everything either side of this I remember.

Hitting the gound and rolling so fast I thought I'd never stop. Realising I was still alive, checking I still had my limbs and then the pain kicked in. Guys I was riding with refused to come over initially as they thought I was dead then when they realised I wasn't didn't know what they would find.

I'm with Norwich Union so just call me lucky!
Old 26-Oct-2005, 11:56
Mille

Mood: I need to get out and ride more!
Quote:
Originally posted by ttstu

I was under the impression the rod stays in, unless there are complications. Hope so as I want to get on with some physio. I've also got ligament damage in the knee. Can't spell crushiat so I'll stick with ligament for now. When do you think physio will start Ducnow? Am I being unrealistic? Not been counciled on it yet so really don't know the POA.

Weeian I remember everything. Except the few seconds between hitting the front corner of the tanker to hitting the ground. Everything either side of this I remember.

Hitting the gound and rolling so fast I thought I'd never stop. Realising I was still alive, checking I still had my limbs and then the pain kicked in. Guys I was riding with refused to come over initially as they thought I was dead then when they realised I wasn't didn't know what they would find.

Weird that! I had the same experience when I fell off earlier this year on the continent negotiating a rather nasty hairpin in the French Alps.

Anyway, I remember everything apart from the second or so when it all went t*ts up. Can remember clearly the sliding across the road and hitting the bank on the other side thinking - phew Im glad nothing was coming down the other way! But ask me what happened at the crucial moment and Im completely blank, must be to do with shock.

Sorry to hear of your accident stu and hope you make a full recovery. I still love riding despite my spill and time in hospital etc and if anything its made me a better rider... Im sure you'll feel the same when you get back in the saddle.
Old 26-Oct-2005, 12:20
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
I had a compound fracture of my right femur in 1997. I also had a steel bar inserted from hip to knee. I had fully intended to leave it in there, but eventually had it removed in 2000.

The removal was basically because the screws holding it in place were causing me pain. When climbing stairs the screws near my knee were rubbing against something and causing pain. I walked with a noticeable limp because otherwise the screws near my hip rubbed against something else.

I'd put on quite a lot of weight in those 3 years and removing everything was a bit of a bugger the surgeon told me. My scars are about 3 times bigger after pin removal than before.

One thing I will say is DO THE PHYSIO! I was pretty slack on this front and now have a big "dent" in my right quad. Basically the muscle is now in two halves. They joined themselves to the bone and scar tissue rather than back to themselves. If I had of done all the physio properly this would not have happened. I guess it's a talking point.......

Glad you're on the mend though sstu, it all sounds pretty horrific.

[Edited on 26-10-2005 by phillc]
Old 26-Oct-2005, 15:12
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Can't spell crushiat so I'll stick with ligament for now.

Having had a rupture of my anterior cruciate ligament playing basketball I can tell you that it's spelled - cruciate.

Sounds like a fair bit of grief. Like Phil says, do the physio properly.

I'm losing strength and movement in my left hand right now because my left shoulder is pinching a nerve. Why? Because I dislocated my shoulder, collarbone and tore the cartilage off the bone in there last year. After the operation I had to screw the cartilage back on I didn't finish my physio properly ... this is why I'm having the nerve problems now.

DO THE PHYSIO!

[Edited on 26-10-2005 by TP]
Old 26-Oct-2005, 15:35
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Take it from one recuperating cripple to another...

...do what the physio tells you, when the physio tells you or suffer the painful consequences later
I've still got the carbon fibre cage and titanium rods n screws holding my spine together and my ribs have all been cut'n'shut to fit my smaller chest cavity so they've still got the wire holding them all in place. The spinal fittings will always be there, even though they're rubbing on my shoulder blades, the rib-wires are staying too, even though they feel like they're digging into the muscles alongside.
I suppose the moral is, don't be a muppet in the first place, but when you do, get the best opinion you can afford (yes, pay for it if you have to!) and then make sure you LISTEN TO THEM
Old 26-Oct-2005, 18:09
Mille

sorry to hear about your crash.
good luck and have a fast recovery time,
I had a crash that broke my cruciate ligaments and it took 6 week before they took the cast off and 2 or 3 mouths of physio to get it to move probably,
Old 26-Oct-2005, 19:22
888 at Last !!!

Quote:

ttstu, the doctor said that in some cases the steel bar can stay, but in my case it was too painful as they let around 5 cms of it coming off from the hip bone, so that really affected my mobility.

Here check these

as for physio.... start it ASAP!!! I had my accident on the 14th of November, had surgery on 15th, went home on the 19th and started phsyo on the 19th.
Yes, you must take it slowly at first and it can be quite painful, but it's essencial for a good rehab.
In March i was back on ridding, and in April i was in a trackday (but yeah, it was too crazy and i still had crutches ), that's just to show you how important physio is.

As for my accident, i remember every single bit (i still have the slow motion image in my head of the car cutting my lane and just getting in fron of me ).

Ok, be strong and heal fast.
Also, try to set a goal for yourself. My goal was to be back on ridding bikes in April, and, for general surprise (doctor, physio etc.. said i was crazy and that it was impossible), i was doing it on March.
Old 26-Oct-2005, 19:51
GTL

Mood: I want to come home ::(:but then
Glad to hear your out now. Have to agree with starting physio early and completing it till you're a 100%. These injures have a habit of biting you in the arse later on in life.

What's happening with the (w)anker driver. Are they going to charge him and can you sue him for damages?
Old 27-Oct-2005, 01:46
Mille

Mood: On the mend!
Blimey some interesting stuff in those last few posts. Makes me feel even more fortunate. I went to the Consultant today 5 weeks after leaving hospital. He was amazed how well I have mended.

I am now allowed to build up to 100% weight onto the broken femur. He doesn't think the PCL cruciate ligament is ruptured now or if it was it's sorted itself. The plate and screws have to stay in the shoulder for now as there isn't any sign of calcium building up between the two parts so have to go back in 6 weeks for more x rays. Was hoping I could get them out asap as they do cause a lot of discomfort. Can't understand why I have lost movement in 3 of my toes as I can curl them down but not up. Leaving for now to see if it improves with walking.

Physio starts next Thursday! Bought a multi gym and looking forward to getting the Trek on the rollers again! Got no thigh or calf muscles so plenty of work to do.

As for a goal I was thinking the Etape du Tour next July but quite frankly I think that is a bit hopeful so may settle for something smaller in this country.

Unfortunately Crunchy I was to blame. One accident in 5 years, not even come close to one before and it was my fault. Otherwise I would be looking forward to a nice pay out. As it is I'm looking at a hike in insurance and probably prosecution by the police.

Oh well I'm still here.
Old 27-Oct-2005, 03:32
GTL

Mood: I want to come home ::(:but then
Quote:

Unfortunately Crunchy I was to blame. One accident in 5 years, not even come close to one before and it was my fault. Otherwise I would be looking forward to a nice pay out. As it is I'm looking at a hike in insurance and probably prosecution by the police.

Oh well I'm still here.

The French are always to blame As you said, you're still here, that's the main thing. Airport security going to be interesting though