Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 27-Sep-2005, 17:40
GTL

Mood: I want to come home ::(:but then
Most influential......

I'm bored. In fact, I'm border than a bored man with lots of bords selling bords to people from bordsville. So I thought I would try my first Poll.

I'm a big Dylan fan and watched the 1st Arena doc on him last night (second part tonight). So I was wondering who Ducatisti thought was the most influential Music artist of our times.

Obviously I'm for Dylan. Even Lennon said he changed the way he thought popular music should go. NME also recently voted "Like a rolling stone" the most influential song EVER wrote.

For those of you who are undecided watch the final part on BBC2 at 9
Old 27-Sep-2005, 17:45
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Kylie?
Old 27-Sep-2005, 17:54
GTL

Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
Kylie?

No wonder the country is going to the dogs since I left
Old 27-Sep-2005, 19:11
Montjuic

Mood: Lascivious
Charlotte Church.

Her latest video has an influential affect on me everytime I see it - I'm even thinking of turning the sound up one day.
Old 27-Sep-2005, 19:57
Big Twin

The Cheeky Girls
Old 27-Sep-2005, 20:00
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
Kylie?

Not so far off the mark Jon, Stock Aitkin and Waterman had a lot of influence on current pop music, pete waterman / the hit factory has had hits for 3 decades and probably more top tens than many of the so called major artists.

My vote goes to John Peel, he's influenced more music fans than any artist.
Old 27-Sep-2005, 20:07
GTL

Hold on a mow Shouldn't khu996 from Wales want Charlotte and COL595 from Essex The cheeky Girls

I agree with John Peel but we're talking about the artists that he promoted. Artist's that inspired us, changed our lives, our way of thinking not promotion gimmick's that remind us of the last sh*g we had against the wall.
Old 27-Sep-2005, 20:34
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Crunchy

I agree with John Peel but we're talking about the artists that he promoted. Artist's that inspired us, changed our lives,

so a DJ ain't an artist??? big can of worms opening for me on that one, my major influences after Peel ( and in last 2 decades) are Martin Hannett, Paul Oakenfold, William Orbit, Deep Dish, thievery corporation all for their production talents and keeping me interested in music even after almost 40 years. prior to that the pistols, ramones and clash for encouraging kids to pick up guitars and play them, me included, before that as in my previous posts, velvets and new york dolls. i can honestly say the beatles, john lennon and bob dylan had little impact on me bowie yeah, young americans opened my ears to more souly stuff which prior to that i wouldn't have listened to and Low/heroes was the beginning of a spell of me searching for good german stuff like neu or la dusseldorf.

[Edited on 27-9-2005 by Gizmo]

[Edited on 27-9-2005 by Gizmo]
Old 27-Sep-2005, 20:46
GTL

yeah but who influenced them. This is what I on about. Before Dylan most of the popular songs were about "love, love me do". It was Dylan that gave you something to think about. I mean even I wont admit to him having a operatic voice.
Old 27-Sep-2005, 21:06
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Crunchy
yeah but who influenced them. This is what I on about. Before Dylan most of the popular songs were about "love, love me do". It was Dylan that gave you something to think about. I mean even I wont admit to him having a operatic voice.

well if its a history of rock and roll you are after theres lots before Dylan and the Beatles and lots more relevant to my current tastes and I doubt that any of the current stuff i listen to is influenced by Dylan or the Beatles. just played the Thievery Corp interview from their 1 world set, their inlfuences are jamaican, hindu, brazilian, funk, david byrne ( whom i missed from my influences, doh) no mention of any 60's music as they are too young for it.

Because of the distribution of music it was only the "major" artists that got heard in the 50's and 60's. Shows like John Peels brought unknown artists an audience on a major radio station, it opened the door to lots of new stuff and thats what i consider influential. Punk brought new small record labels, small production runs and once again altered distribution, you didnt need a major label to plug your music, loads of new record shops opened so it was easy to get the music as well. Dance did the same in the late 80's/90's and now the internet makes anything accesible, the artist is a small ( but important)) part of what we listen to or influenced us.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit