Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 15-Feb-2006, 01:20
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee1980
Heres very good value for money big screen and not much more deeper than a plasma either unless ur going to wall mount your plasma do u really need it that thin?

Its a rear projection based on an lcd inside where as my tosh has a crt tv inside projected on to screen. If mine goes poof one day this will be my next tv.

Sony 50"

Thats what I bought my girlfriend for xmas! Its a cracking telly. We needed something big as the sofas are a fair way from the tv. And we had no interest in wall mounting it but as you say its not much deeper than a plasma. In fact everone that visits assumes it is a plasma! Picture quality to me is excellent, but I have had crap tellys for years.
Old 15-Feb-2006, 01:38
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by TP
I'd be interested to see what you think of my setup mate. Feel free to pop over to my flat and have a look, I'm sure I could throw a beer down your neck or maybe a glass of vino tinto or something.

Nice. I'll take you up on that
(But do you have a HD source? )
Old 15-Feb-2006, 03:27
500SD

Mood: 2 for 1 mmm :)
Quote:
Originally posted by Carbon749
dealtime.co.uk is quite good as a search engine.

Also I did have the details for a site that sold Phillips factory re-furb items, average cost was about 2/3rds retail prices and included 1 year warranty. If I find it I will list post it up.

As for me, HD ready LCD up to about 37" .... would not go the plasma route.

why wouldnt you go the plasma route ? ?

/ian
Old 15-Feb-2006, 09:35
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Quote:
Originally posted by MARTIN H
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee1980
Heres very good value for money big screen and not much more deeper than a plasma either unless ur going to wall mount your plasma do u really need it that thin?

Its a rear projection based on an lcd inside where as my tosh has a crt tv inside projected on to screen. If mine goes poof one day this will be my next tv.

Sony 50"

Thats what I bought my girlfriend for xmas! Its a cracking telly. We needed something big as the sofas are a fair way from the tv. And we had no interest in wall mounting it but as you say its not much deeper than a plasma. In fact everone that visits assumes it is a plasma! Picture quality to me is excellent, but I have had crap tellys for years.

Nice one Martin It looks fab my Crt rear projection has a really good natural picture compared to plasmas and lcd's and for me they are much better value for money, only wish mine was HD ready then again it is about 3 yrs old
Old 15-Feb-2006, 09:41
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
When we looked at large TVs a few years back we ended up discounting rear projectors 'cos of the cost of lamp replacement (and the fact that they were all bleedin' huge...). Is that still an issue with LCD rear projectors? What about large LCD screens?
Old 15-Feb-2006, 09:52
Mille

Mood: fair to middlin
I had a plasma that lasted 18 months. So I would'nt recommend them.
But we did get insurance, and once the engineer failed to fix it, they offered us another plasma. Which we were a bit weary of, so we put the extra money up, and got this puppy:

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/648_231134.html

Which is cheaper on this site, good luck.
Old 15-Feb-2006, 10:46
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Go for an LCD, Plasma`s are old skool!
Old 15-Feb-2006, 10:49
Montjuic

Mood: Getting faster!
Avoid Plasma, screen burn is a problem and can be permanent, the life expectancy isnt all that great and if they have been dropped or banged in the warehouse they wont work!

Go for an LCD, they are getting bigger all the time and the picture quality is better than a plasma.
Old 15-Feb-2006, 11:01
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

We have a 42" Toshiba Plasma at work ( a re-badged Panasonic). It was fine for the first year then had 2 major faults in the next 9 months. Each required a new board at £500 a time. If it packs up again it's going in the skip.
And as said above they do suffer badly from screen burn if you're not careful. Watch out for digital channels with hard icons in the corner of the screen.
Old 15-Feb-2006, 11:16
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Quote:
Originally posted by FiscusFish
When we looked at large TVs a few years back we ended up discounting rear projectors 'cos of the cost of lamp replacement (and the fact that they were all bleedin' huge...). Is that still an issue with LCD rear projectors? What about large LCD screens?

Im sure there is no lamp in mine as its a small crt tv projected onto the back of screen I believe. What you say about lamps is true of stand alone projectors where you project an image on to front of screen or wall, in these the lamps do have so many hours running time.

Over the years rear projection tvs have got less depth to them mines about 400mm deep for a 42" when a 36" crt was so deep almost as it was wide

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit