Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 26-Apr-2004, 13:32
Mille

Mood: Back on the bike
Tuvelo Speed cameras

Does anyone have the info on these Tuvelo spped camerias, the ones with the two different sized lenses ?
If you are travelling towards it , on a bike, then if you do not have a front no. plate
they cannot identify you. Do they flash at night, or am I being optimistically naive and there's some fiendishly clever part that catches you, come what may.
In a car , how do you know if you have been Tuveloed ?
Answers please from them that know.
Old 26-Apr-2004, 13:48
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Truvelo is used 24/7 just like the Gatso.
The two "lenses" are actually one camera lens & a flash with a filter to allow the use of Infra Red sensitive film to pick you up day or night.
At night, you will se a purple flash, in the day light it can depend how sunny it is as to whether you see the flash or not.
They do not use radar, being triggered by piezo detector strips in the road so can't be easily detected except by GPS based units or the Mk I eyeball.
They also can be mounted to allow them to photograph the rear plate.
Hope this helps........

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by Rushjob]
Old 26-Apr-2004, 15:16
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
As Rushjob says, if it's facing you, you're safe on a bike, and they work off the strips buried in the road.

Most of the ones local to me only have the strips across half the carriageway approaching the camera, and again on the other carriageway after passing the camera for when the camera is pointed the other way. Based on this, it's possible to avoid the piezo strips altogether.. not so easy in a car though, and I think the newer ones have the detector strips right across the road as well now
Old 26-Apr-2004, 17:09
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
have read this somewhere before but surely a bike too light to activate the strips they put in and on the road ??

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by Nigel C]
Old 26-Apr-2004, 17:21
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
You still got to be careful with these even though they can't read your plate from the front shot.
My buddy in Hants const. says they look out for the same bike appearing in their photo album and if the see lots of pretty pictures of the same bike then they'll look out for you riding round, and even bring prosecution if they think they can identify you.

Just save it for the track!
Old 26-Apr-2004, 17:53
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Sneaky?

Can even mount a camera a few yards back down the road to get a rear-on piccie of all you crims on bikes who think you can get away without a front number plate!
Old 26-Apr-2004, 18:11
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
They will pick up a pushbike going over the piezo strips, never mind a motorcycle......
Old 27-Apr-2004, 00:19
GTL

Does anyone know how far back from the camera the sensors are? Near me, there are three lines on the carriageway two or three yards from the camera.

A
Old 27-Apr-2004, 06:44
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Yellow - there are 3 white lines just back from the camera. Just before them, there are group of strips embedded in the tarmac, that have been tarred over the top and are visible as black strips buried in the road. The whole thing is over and done with in the space of 10 yards or so.

And as others have said... I don't trust them one little bit. I've often thought that if a yellow Ducati kept appearing in photos every Sunday morning then it wouldn't take long before they come and wait.
Old 27-Apr-2004, 08:12
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Er.. you could always plan ahead and obey the limits?

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit