Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Sep-2003, 00:40

900ss Question

Hi, just a quick post for a friend of mine who recently bought a '96 900 ss. Do you need to pull the clutch in to start the bike, and is there a cut off switch for the sidestand being down? I have an RGV250 and a VFR750 and both these will cut the engine if put the bike in gear while the stand is down. Currently he doesn't need to pull the clutch in to start the bike (neither do I) but I know on some other bikes (Bandits etc.) you do need to do this. Could someone have bypassed this so they didn't have to engage the clutch when starting?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-Sep-2003, 08:57
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
You dont need to pull the clutch in on ANY Duke to get it started.Although it is a good idea to do it as the neutral light often lies.
I think it was from 2000 onwards that Ducati fitted switches to the sidestand.Both the 999 and the Multistrada work with the neutral light,and need to be out of gear before they will start.

The '96 bike will have a switch on the stand,but this is for a "stand down" warning light.It will probably have the flip up "suicide stand".

[Edited on 1-9-2003 by keefyboy]
Old 01-Sep-2003, 09:16
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Yep - my '92 900ss even has a side stand switch built in. It only illuminates an idiot light in the cockpit - nothing more.

I sadly, damaged mine when the starter motor went bad and have not gotten around to replacing it yet - but, I quite like it withou the light and am pretty meticulous about flipping up the side stand anyway, but anything can happen I guess.

Regards - Frank
Old 01-Sep-2003, 18:24

Thanks

Cheers guys. I guess he's just going to have to be more carefull checking it or stay away from left hand bends!!!