Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Jan-2005, 23:59
Mille

Mood: dooM
Ah.....looks like it's a slow coloured one
Old 06-Jan-2005, 10:45
GTL

I'm same build as you and commuted about 20 miles a day for a year, first on inj.900ss and then 748. The 748 was a little more cramped but I found I got used to it pdq. I loved the ss but it doesn't quite compare to that feeling of waking up in the morning not quite believing you have this beautiful object in your garage/drive/garden/living room. Once you've got the itch I think you have to go down the 748/9** road.
Old 06-Jan-2005, 17:53
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
unless you need a bike for a specific purpose, say busy city commute, ALWAYS buy with your heart, not your head......what do you want it for, cause it's practical, efficient, cheap to run, comfortable.....or it looks the nuts, goes like stink and handles better than pretty much any bike out there.....plus you've quote "always wanted one"....well flippin buy the 748 then

Mine was a basic 748e with plenty of bling bits and I loved it, even commuted for a year into London on it and tracked it for a year....it was going better when I sold it with 25k on the clock than the day I bought it new.

WeeJohnyB
Old 06-Jan-2005, 18:51
500SD

Buy the 748S simply brilliant at everything

Make sure that it has lots of service history
Old 06-Jan-2005, 19:01
Big Twin

Advice on 748s - should I buy one?

Of course you should.

I bought one last Feb ('97 BP best graphics IMO)after 4+ years of R1's and other big bore IL4's before that. Never looked back since.

I was the same, always wanted one, ummed and ahh'd for years then bit the bullet. Best decision I made since taking my test.

Try to get the next service carried out first, as I think that's the head overhaul (rockers....)

Otherwise, Just do it.
Old 12-Jan-2005, 23:57
Mille

Mood: yes mistress

I have always wanted a sports Ducati, since I was about 10 anyway, I'm now 37 and have had my 748 2 years.
If it's something you've allways wanted, then go for it, if after a year you can't get on with it then change it, at least you can say you have had one.
I love mine and would'nt change it for anything. I use it all year round and I have never had a problem, Sometimes after a long ride the comfort is a bit of a pain, but then all I have to do is look at the bike, and the noise it makes, and it's all well worth it.
Old 13-Jan-2005, 13:43
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by WeeJohnyB
unless you need a bike for a specific purpose, say busy city commute, ALWAYS buy with your heart, not your head......what do you want it for, cause it's practical, efficient, cheap to run, comfortable.....or it looks the nuts, goes like stink and handles better than pretty much any bike out there.....plus you've quote "always wanted one"....well flippin buy the 748 then

Mine was a basic 748e with plenty of bling bits and I loved it, even commuted for a year into London on it and tracked it for a year....it was going better when I sold it with 25k on the clock than the day I bought it new.

WeeJohnyB

I commuted on my 996 into London from Twickenham, 15 miles in and 15 miles back - all city riding, no motorway. It was fine, I was just riding around with a grin on my face all the time anyway, even when I had worked late to 11pm and was riding home in the rain.

If you don't get the 748 you will always have something hanging over your head, never knowing etc. If you have the opportunity to get the bike of your dreams just do it. This is exactly the situation I was in when I decided to buy the 996, I got the 996 and I'm so glad I did!!

Do it, you'll regret it if you don't!!
Old 13-Jan-2005, 20:27
Mille

Mood: Just the one bike for me now
Hi,

Myself am a newbie not just to Ducati but biking in general.
I was adament I wanted a CBR6 or GSX6.

Went for a test ride on the GSX and fell in love. But when I returned to the dealer forecourt and parked the thing it dawned on me that it was one of many GSX's lined up outside.

I told the dealer I wanted something a bit more excusive and he showed me the 748. I test rode it, heard the Termi's and went straight back and purchased it. Never imagined, me, a Ducati owner ?

I have only managed 270 dry miles since December but loved every one of them. Ducati's rule !

Delooney.