Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Mar-2005, 23:35
Mille

Benefits of radial master cylinders?

Thought I'd post this here as I recall, quite a few have upgraded your master cylinders to the radial versions. With my bike rebuilding gathering momentum and taking the opportunity to 'do it all at once', my thoughts have turned towards Radial brake & clutch master cylinders - in particular the brembo race versions. Now, I am attracted to them like "P Diddy to a Bentley" for the bling factor but I would venture that they have another purpose other than looking swell.

So, bearing in mind that the front forks are being replaced by some Ohlins complete with Brembo radial calipers:

1. What benefits are to be gained?

2. Would it be false economy to use the standard master cylinders with the new set-up or are the Brembo Race master cylinders "keeping it in the family" so to speak.

3. Are other brands better/ worse or just different i.e Disciatti or Magura?

4. What do the different diameters mean i.e. PR19x20, 19x18, 16x18?

5. Will the clutch lever be harder to pull than stock - thinking of uprating the clutch slave cylinder to the Spareshack evoluzione item at the same time?

By the way, I have rather small hands so if they are not as adjustable as the stock levers, they would not be a good thing. Thanks for any enlightening thoughts that travel in my direction.

Best regards

simon
Old 20-Mar-2005, 23:38
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Sorry can't answer all your questions can only say that I used brembo master cyl for first time yesterday and it was stunning! Two finger braking and really comfy to use compared to normal.

Clutch slave upgrade will make it nicer to pull whatever you go for, but i believe that the type of clutch you have may make more of a difference than the lever?
Old 21-Mar-2005, 10:48
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
I have upgraded from the standard brake/clutch master cylinders to the radial stuff.

The clutch side of things is slightly better/lighter but then I have an uprated slave cylinder on the clutch. Is it worth it? I suppose it is.

But the brake side of things, Wahooooooooo!! I have mega feel from the brake lever and it is a proper two finger brake set up that has tones of power. Much better that the original set up. However, I have uprated to the four pad brembo calipers and so this will have an effect on the overall power/feel. Is it worth it? You bet ya!!

One of the best mods I did to the 748 was the radial brake master cylinder and four pad calipers, after the 853 big bore.

I am well pleased with the braking now. I would say that it is far better that my old R1 set up.!!

DC.
Old 21-Mar-2005, 10:52
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Ooooooops,

I see that you are fitting radial calipers. You lucky, lucky Ba****d!!

I reckon you would have a mega brake set up. I cant fault mine so yours would be the iceing on the cake.

The levers are adjustable by the way.
Mine are 19x18 for the brake and 19x16 for the clutch, as recommended by the manafacturer.

DC.

[Edited on 21-3-2005 by DC]

[Edited on 21-3-2005 by DC]
Old 21-Mar-2005, 10:54
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
For the story on brakes, check out our guru;

http://217.199.188.40/xmb/viewthread...7367#pid155760

Tim
Old 21-Mar-2005, 11:05
500SD

Hi

I fitted the Discaciati master cylinders last year, no real change to the clutch but the brakes were improved dramatically.
Old 21-Mar-2005, 15:13
Big Twin

If you're wanting something very special, get this

http://www.carpimoto.com/product/Lan...Prod_13787.htm

M1keyp and I have them, far superior construction to the Brembo race one, (CNC vs Cast), cheaper, built in brake light switch etc, etc.

one finger braking with confidence (it's all about confidence isn't it??)

I've only uprated the brake side, clutch is fine for me.

I'd recommend ordering a replacement lever at the same time just in case. (Saves on postage too.)
Old 21-Mar-2005, 16:15
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
If it was far superior, don't you think it would all over the WSBK and MotoGP bike?
Old 21-Mar-2005, 16:55
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
The top teams all use the CNC'd Brembo which costs considerably more than the Discacciati (Which is even cheaper than the cast Brembo).

We're talking (according to the Carpimoto site) 229 euro for the Discacciati, 290 euro for the cast Brembo (plus brake light switch) and 490 euro (!) for the CNC'd Brembo one, again plus brakelight switch.

For the money the Discacciati is obviously much better value.

Darren
Old 21-Mar-2005, 17:04
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
You can't buy a cast Brembo Clutch master cylinder...