Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Sep-2003, 09:00
Mille

Mood: Looking forwards...........
900SS carb Suspension settings

After owning her for 6 months now and having ridden over many types of road I am of the firm belief that my current settings are far too firm. I am currently 11 and a half stone (very overweight for me!!) but I am being thrown out of the seat at the slightest undulation. I am assuming the person before me was a lot heavier with the settings the way they are. Also is there a way of lowering the bike too? I need about 15mm to make both of my stumpy legs reach the deck flatfooted!!
Old 15-Sep-2003, 21:13
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Eat like a pig all winter and buy some 16" wheels for your baby

Erm.....seriously - I think the help of a suspension expert might be useful, I seem to remember a guy in Nottingham being recommended in a thread here ages ago.

I think changing the seat pad or having it rebuilt might be an easier / better option than trying to reduce the ride height by 15mm, certainly my Corbin seat is a good 10mm lower than my original Ducati one.

But - I dont know if any aftermarker seats are made for the SL.

Is the ride height correct anyway?

Good luck Colin !

Regards - Frank
Old 15-Sep-2003, 22:39
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Hmm,the suspension on carbed SS's is pretty crude and generally over sprung and under damped.
The main thing is to get the preload and sag adjusted to suit you and your weight.
If you start lowering the suspension on the SS to overcome your stumpy legs you could mess up the handling and you'll find you run out of ground clearance.Best to shave a lump out of the seat foam.My wife is only 5'2" and she had no problems with a cut out seat.A local upholsterer made a new cover and the result was better than the Corbin.Cost us 40 quid to have the seat recovered in leather with red piping and an Italian flag sewn in.