Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-Oct-2003, 11:00
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

If the bike is only 6 months old surely the piston and barrel should be replaced under warranty? Sounds like it has nipped up, possibly due to overtight manufacturing clearances or over exuberant riding during the running in period.
Inspecting the bearing shells and oil pump requires total dismantling of the engine. Are you capable of doing this? If the work is done by anybody other than an authorised dealer the warranty will probably be void.
In my own experience, as long as the piston and cylinder are replaced the engine will probably be OK.
Old 16-Oct-2003, 22:44

The dealer has offered to put a new barrel and piston in under warranty. However, I feel that I would be left with a comprimised engine. Without looking at the critical components it is difficult to know whether or not there is further engine damage due to the metal debris. I was asking the dealer to look at these components on my behalf as they were not out when I went back. (It sounds like they would do this anyway as they are a good dealer)

To be honest I'm not happy with a simple repair. It is going to affect the second hand value. I have evidence that the engine was run in properly and that sufficient oil was present because the rings are in good condition. The barrel and piston just seem mis-matched. Which means it was faulty when I bought it.

My Honda riding mates are finding this very funny!
Old 18-Oct-2003, 11:38
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Hi Chris,

Sounds like you have a Friday afternoon engine there, I suggest you follow up and get the motor replaced (I thought Dukes didnt have barrels, just bored out head?)

Just to make you smiles tho', I had a CBR600 a couple of years ago, brand new! After the first ride in the rain the centre stand rusted up and after its first trackday the regulator expired frying the dash and headlight. The thing was a pig to start and then a kid ran out in front of me as the hairdryer thing swept down the road. I swapped it for the Noisy Duke and never looked back. My Duke has been totally relaible never missing a beat and going strong after loads of mods and half a dozen trackdays; and hey what makes you feel better riding Honda or Ducati!!

Andy

[Edited on 18-10-2003 by andys 900ss]
Old 19-Dec-2003, 08:37

What was the final deliberation on the engine>

Did they find any underlying reason for the failure
Old 25-Jun-2004, 13:33

I know this is an old topic but I've not been able to log in for ages......

The source of the knocking noise was traced to the front cylinder where the piston skirt was picking up on the cylinder bore. This resulted in some nasty piston slap and a loud noise. This was to the point of bits of metal from the bore had attached themselves to the piston!

I was very upset and contacted Ducati UK but they were useless - but the Jeanette at Italia Moto in Lincoln was brilliant and sorted it all out for me.

The moral of the story is that sometimes the funny noises from between your legs are not the Ducati 'character' but something wrong.

The bikes back together now and I recently rode it to the LeMans 24hr car race and it was brilliant. Much better after the 800 miles. Does everyone find that their motors get better with the miles?
Old 25-Jun-2004, 19:30
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Chris. My 98 900 has 25000 on the clock. Ive covered 21000 of them, the bike has never let me done and still puls like train when asked to do so. Never had the valves adjusted .Checked yes . Great bike . 4D