Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Oct-2004, 00:57

Mood: ..runnin on fumes....
or...

fit a powerbronze twin spot conversion like mine with a pair o 140/90's ... ye could go rallyin

Cheers

Dano
Old 26-Oct-2004, 08:35
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

900 SS Headlight

First time on this site so pardon any inadvertant faux pas....
I have a 93 750 SS that of course reminded me of the Prince of Darkness at night. I switched to a PIAA 100w (60 watt draw) and ended those spooky nights. I don't know if they sell those bulbs in the UK, but there are a whole slew of them available in even brighter ranges. Another good thing about PIAA is that they last forever and don't seem to put an increased load on the system. Almost ten years in my duck and about that in my Isuzu when I sold it. Hope this may be of some help, but if not, at least we drive on the wrong (vs right) side of the road here in Japan.
Old 26-Oct-2004, 09:00
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Thanks for that, MD. I'm looking to improve the lighting on my 2001 750S - I had intended to use the halogen light off my push-bike!
Old 27-Oct-2004, 04:20
500SD

I don't know if they sell those bulbs in the UK as I mentioned, but I have had my Duck go through safety inspections here with no problem at all. I mentioned reliablility, but I forgot that I also put a similar bulb in an enduro bike (DT200 Yamadog) and it lasted forever despite frequent off road adventures with the light on. Also, my Isuzu was usually driven off-road with the lights on for visibility (to oncoming crazies) and those bulbs lasted through 10 years of some fairly crazy stuff. On other thing I did for visibility in daylight was put some small halogen lights in the openings below the headlight in the front fairing, with a lightable switch mounted in the plastic to the right of the tach. Small draw, but very visible. They still work, but I am thinking of putting some long and thin LED's in there instead. Easy to mount as well.
Old 27-Oct-2004, 10:23
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Like this?

There is also an LED parking bulb fitted.

I've tried a PIAA Platinum Super White bulb and franklly I wasn't very impressed. It was bright OK, for other people seeing you, but the blue-white light is not good for seeing at night. What's worse it was embarrassingly expensive and and packed up after about 6 months. A waste of money I could have bought 4 Osram Slivervision 50% brighter bulbs for what it cost.
Old 27-Oct-2004, 12:01
500SD

Exactly what I meant!
As for PIAA bulbs, since I live in the land of PIAA, they aren't so expensive and they have been more than reliable in all of my stuff. I am not sure which one you are referring to, but there are now a number of variations in color to match individual preferences. The lighting at night and in the rain has been well worth the upgrade. Haven't tried an Osram since I had a 550 Suzuki a number of years ago, but it lasted about a year of mainly LA roads (no winter buckles).
Nice photo. Where did you mount the switch.
Old 27-Oct-2004, 12:03
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Nice one Derek - I like the idea of fitting a row of White LEDs in the fairing ducts - since lets, face it they only appear to be there for show.
Old 27-Oct-2004, 13:24
GTL

MD, there is no switch. I wired them into the parking/tail circuit.

Frank, I only fitted 3 LEDS in each slot because at the time (nearly 2 years ago) Ultra-bright LEDs were very expensive. 6 of them cost around £20!! but there are quite a few cheaper (and more expensive options available now that I'd like to try. Have a look at this stuff for some ideas;
http://www.lumileds.com/products/
Old 28-Oct-2004, 03:10
500SD

Mille Grazie Senore,

I will glance at the site you mentioned after this place stops shaking. ANother big earthquake yesterday! Hate to be doing 180 on a highway when one of those hits.
The price of LEDs has come down and that is why I am thinking of replacing the lights I have now.
Old 28-Oct-2004, 10:30
GTL

You might be interested in my LED tail light conversion as well.