Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 27-Feb-2006, 14:27
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Tyres recommendations - 800ss

I'm putting one of my 800ss bikes on the road to act as a test bed for my 800ss racer. I need some tyres.

Normally I use and like D207's which, despite being deeply unfashionable, work well on a big & heavy bike like my Triumph. However, I don't think they would be suitable for the 800 due to its lower weight and power. I have tried and liked Diablos but, my riding style shags the front in less than 1500 miles on the shoulders soooooo........they are out.

Recommendations? Any input on Avon Vipers, Metzeler Sportec M1's? I'm not a great fan of any Michelins I have tried but, I'm willing to reconsider.

As it is purely road use, the stickiest most fashionable tyre is not really necessary. Use is 100% hooning.

Cheers!
Old 27-Feb-2006, 14:37
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
BT020's front and rear (put an 010/014 on the front in summer if you like to corner hard) or standard Diablo's. Unless you're gonna spend half your time on this bike on track there's no real point going for anything stickier (and more expensive) as it'll take forever to warm up on the road and it's difficult to keep hot enough to feel the benefit.
Old 27-Feb-2006, 14:50
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

It's got to be Pirelli Diablos hasn't it?

Every other bike you see has these boots on nowadays.

I hear the Corsa fronts take seconds off your roundabout times too
Old 27-Feb-2006, 18:14
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
BT020 are crap (for me) - I hate them. Tried Diablos as I said and I rag the front too quickly - they get a horrible step in them so, I'm not too keen to go down that route either. No other suggestions? I've got a stock of Supercorsa Pros from my last year's racing but, they'd be a bit tight on a 5.5" rim
Old 28-Feb-2006, 14:02
Mille

I've got the BT-014's on mine and really like them. Very neutral, very stable, very confidince inspiring. Look great too. I'm also a Pilot Power fan and would say you can't go wrong with either one of these tires on the street. I have also heard excellent feedback about the Pirelli's, I'm just not a huge fan of the looks. I know alot of people run the Corsa on the front and standard Diablo on the rear with great results, just haven't seen any on a SS. I actually considered putting the 014's on my 749 after putting them on the SS, but then I heard Bridgestone is coming out with a tame, street version of the 002. That should be worth waiting on. If I don't like it, I think I'll stick with the Power's.

[Edited on 28-2-2006 by galaxy]