Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.
Closed Thread

Old 03-May-2005, 18:14
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I SAY AGAIN

Quote:
Originally posted by Jools
Here's a thought. Instead of trying to level the series (albeit too late) with talk of how the 583/674 people should spend another thousand or so to get flat slides and some serious engine building done, how about asking John Hackett and Neil Spalding to work out the size of inlet restrictor that would be needed to restrict 620's or 680's to 52 bhp.

Shouldn't be hard for top engine builders to work out and would cost the 620/680 boys about £20

Wouldn't this be the most cost effective way to level the playing field? It would cost the carburetted people nothing...zip...nada and an intake restrictor would cost relative peanuts to fit to injection bikes, be they 620's or 680's. That way, this whole thing is settled for minimum cost and maximum fairness. Which in spite of people believing that I'm a DesmoDue hater is all I've ever wanted to see....a truly level playing field.
Old 03-May-2005, 18:15
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
and before anyone jumps in.

no i dont have loads of cash, yes i have got in debt big time because of this racing. but im happy with the decision i made.
i wont win on ANY bike but i will have fun on what i have.

that is my main aim, others may be different.
Old 03-May-2005, 18:19
BSB Star

Quote:
I SAY AGAIN

Quote:
Here's a thought. Instead of trying to level the series (albeit too late) with talk of how the 583/674 people should spend another thousand or so to get flat slides and some serious engine building done, how about asking John Hackett and Neil Spalding to work out the size of inlet restrictor that would be needed to restrict 620's or 680's to 52 bhp.

Shouldn't be hard for top engine builders to work out and would cost the 620/680 boys about £20

Wouldn't this be the most cost effective way to level the playing field? It would cost the carburetted people nothing...zip...nada and an intake restrictor would cost relative peanuts to fit to injection bikes, be they 620's or 680's. That way, this whole thing is settled for minimum cost and maximum fairness. Which in spite of people believing that I'm a DesmoDue hater is all I've ever wanted to see....a truly level playing field.

but jools, how level do you want to make it?

what about people who have bought ohlins? get them to sling them in the bin?

i saw a few with steering dampers? take them off then?

some went to almeria with the CSS i couldn't afford it. will someone give me the cash to go and do it before next season.

i really do think it is about as level as you can get when you try to encompass 3 different models of bike over 13 years of production.
Old 03-May-2005, 18:21
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
I do agree with you Dickie, but I won't say why because I won't be able to clearly explain my feelings...
Old 03-May-2005, 18:22
Dibble

effing hell its gone nuts in here ....
Old 03-May-2005, 18:24
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
sorry i dont.

if people are that bothered about winning trophies rather than having fun then they should have got a better bike to start with. i dont know much about bike tuning but it seems fairly obvious to me that if you want to get the best performance you start at the highest level possiible ie a 620.

to use cash as an excuse is i think poor.

if anyone wanted to borrow a grand to get a better bike it would cost them 20 odd quid a month. big deal. one and a bit less beers a week.

Sorry Dickie, if I just wanted to have fun on a race track I would stick to track days.

The only reason to take it a stage further and start racing is to be competitive. Why else would anybody buy a second bike and spend thousands on it? Just for fun?
Old 03-May-2005, 18:30
BSB Star

i just think everyone is getting all het up over very little.

this series is in its first year and has just had its first meeting,
as said on another post, the MT, the riders, and the club as a whole has done a superb job in getting this going.

at the weekend it was the best supported series, with the closest racing, with the best spectators. entries ranging from quite literally converted road bikes to specially prepped race bikes. it was a HUGE success. lets not lose our perspective here.

come the end of the season there may need to be some changes, fine lets look at them and discuss them then. but lets not spoil what, after just one meeting has been one hell of an addition to the club racing scene.

everyone inthe club should be immensely proud.
Old 03-May-2005, 18:38
Ducati Corse

[ [/quote]

Wouldn't this be the most cost effective way to level the playing field? It would cost the carburetted people nothing...zip...nada and an intake restrictor would cost relative peanuts to fit to injection bikes, be they 620's or 680's. That way, this whole thing is settled for minimum cost and maximum fairness. Which in spite of people believing that I'm a DesmoDue hater is all I've ever wanted to see....a truly level playing field. [/quote]

I seem to remember saying somthing similar to that quite a few months ago. No big bore kits for either bike, no carb mods, just blueprinting, cans, brakes and rearsets etc then make the 620's either carry a weight penalty or fit restrictors.
If i was going racing i would want a chance to win, if i just wanted to have fun then i would spend all that money on loads of trackdays and get loads more tracktime.
Like Jools i looked at the costs and after i realised how much a 620 would cost i gave up the idea. Yes 600's are cheap but whats the point under the current rules?
Old 03-May-2005, 18:50
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Blimey !!!!

Good debate, my view is that there realistically was always going to be 2 classes of bike at the DD races, those with 583/674s and those with 620s.

The difference is about as minimal as it could reasonably be, its just that with the reality of a big-bore 620 offering, there may in fact now be 3 classes.

So my view is;

- do away with the big-bore 620 option
- acccept that there is a difference between the 583s and 620s
- choose your weapon based upon finances and objectives
- lets go race!!!

FWIW - I paid £2500 for my 620 and all in all have kept the costs below £4K (so far).

Not the cheapest or the most expensive bike out there I realise, but a great way to start racing.

Tim
Old 03-May-2005, 18:53
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
i just think everyone is getting all het up over very little.

this series is in its first year and has just had its first meeting,
as said on another post, the MT, the riders, and the club as a whole has done a superb job in getting this going.

at the weekend it was the best supported series, with the closest racing, with the best spectators. entries ranging from quite literally converted road bikes to specially prepped race bikes. it was a HUGE success. lets not lose our perspective here.

come the end of the season there may need to be some changes, fine lets look at them and discuss them then. but lets not spoil what, after just one meeting has been one hell of an addition to the club racing scene.

everyone inthe club should be immensely proud.

True. I had a fantastic time spectating and walking around the paddock chatting to as many riders as I could. I didn't get to speak to you all, but you are all heros in my book. I was nervous as hell just watching the preparation.

It was nice to spend some time doing what I could for Phil and Ali as well. I wasn't 'official' pit crew, but I helped replace some clip-ons and bashed some rearsets straight, made me feel involved somehow. Had a blast watching the racing and a fantastic blast home.
Closed Thread