Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Prev   Next
Old 12-Feb-2009, 10:55
Bikes: Ducati, Aprilia and KTM - no yapanese please

Hi Folks

Thanks for the posts.
The APTC clutches are not proper slipper clutches. They're a bit like the standard 'slipper' clutch fitted to Aprilia Milles. Try this with the APTC 'slipper' clutch:
End of Revett Straight (Snetterton), clutch in, down 3 gears, clutch out...

This is the real price of a slipper clutch:
http://www.sigmaperformance.com/slipperclutchrange.html
£630

My point is this: Desmo Due is supposed to be a cheap(ish) race series. I think that by allowing expensive, non-standard parts it gives folks who can spend more money on the bike an advantage. I'm just using teh slipper clutches as an example, there are probably a host of other ££ mods that I don't know about.

A number of years ago, BemSee ran (and could still be running) a MZ race series. Little 2 stroke MZs phutt-phutting around race circuits. It was fun and cheap. Within a few seasons it all got out of hand and the 'cheap' little MZs were costing some competitors many 1000s. Of course... the ones who could afford better equipment had an advantage - very frustrating for those who couldn't afford the bits.

Yeah, yeah... rider ability and all, but it gets pretty frustrating and disheartening when someone on an 'equal' bike pulls a 25 yard gap on you down every straight.

Yes, there are some more tightly controlled equal machine race series (single make series like the old R6 cup) - but these tend to be fairly serious... and certainly not cheap.

I don't believe allowing expensive non-standard parts are within the ethos of a 'cheap', fun race series.

Laters

Ciao!