Ducati Sporting Club UK

Prev   Next
Old 21-Jun-2004, 15:49
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Braking options

On yesterday's rideout I started to get a lot of vibration when I was braking, so much so that I started braking into bends that I wouldn't normally brake into just to see if it was still there or whether it would go away...as if

So, I haven't checked the discs yet, but since it's got gradually worse since I first felt it start to tingle on the way back from Yorkshire a couple of weeks back, I'm pretty sure that one of the discs will be warped and need replacing.

What are the options? I assume that since they're the original discs they'll both be worn by about the same amount and if one is warped the other may be about to give up as well. I also have a gut instinct that with something as crucial as brakes you don't want to skimp and that replacing them as a pair might be better.

However, I'm also getting teed off with launching money at the bike. It seems I'm always having to replace something, the brakes are just the latest in a 'to do' list that includes replacing a broken speedo or drive cable, getting the sidestand and the centre stand powder coated cos they've gone all manky, getting the DP exhausts I'm buying from Marko fitted, replacing the LCD display and trying to get an ally swingarm from an ST4S...

Obviously the brakes got right to the top of the priority list, but brake discs are expensive. Are there any good quality brake discs that are less expensive than genuine Ducati ones? Are waveys a viable option? What are the alternatives?

Of course safety is paramount so if the only option is to bite the bullet and cough for genuine parts then....