Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Jul-2005, 15:03
Montjuic

Mood: got to be a worry.....!
hugger problems

sorted out a new back tyre, had it fitted on to the rim, I come to put the wheel back in the bike and....

...the centre of the tyre now rubs on the hugger!!!

I changed from a pirelli dragon to a corsa so profiles are the same I believe, anyone else had this problem or suggest a solution?

the swing arm was drilled to fit the hugger on the right side.
Old 22-Jul-2005, 15:12
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
I'm guessing it's catching on where the hugger dips where the l/hand exhaust pipe crossed from the foot peg?

Best thing to do is remove the bolt that has been drilled into the swingarm and either run a cable tie from the exhaust spring to the hole in the hugger to lift it slightly or drill another hole in either the swingarm/hugger to move it up a tad to avoid contact
Old 22-Jul-2005, 15:16
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Tis a common problem when you switch from a 190 to a 180 tyre, presume its rubbing where the indent is in the hugger for the pipes.

I cured this by drilling hole in side of hugger and running a cable tie from hugger to the small bracket for the pipe spring, and no the cable tie doesn't melt if you do it right.
Old 22-Jul-2005, 15:22
Montjuic

you're both right in that it is catching on the exhaust groove, though I don't believe I have changed from a 190 to a 180 though.

thanks for your suggestions, I'll give that a go.
Old 22-Jul-2005, 15:53
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

The eccentric hub should nominally set the axle between the 4 and 5 o'clock position (viewed from the left side). But you can also obtain the proper chain tension when the eccentric is in the wrong position - with the axle set between the 1 and 2 o'clock position. If it is set higher than the 3 o'clock midpoint, there will be inadequate clearance between the lower run of the chain and the swingarm and the rear ride height will be too low. You'll also have inadequate clearance between your rear tire and hugger clearance so it'll rub.
Old 22-Jul-2005, 16:03
Montjuic

shazaam just beat me too it. i was going to say that you have adjusted the chain since the last tyre was new and ou havn,t got it right or the chain is stretched and thats the only way you can get the right chain adjustment.
Old 22-Jul-2005, 16:10
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
was going to suggest check the hub coz that as the problem with mine a while ago
Old 25-Jul-2005, 13:48
Montjuic

thanks for the replies.

in terms of the eccentric hub, i sthis easy to adjust or should a man who knows deal with it?
Old 25-Jul-2005, 14:04
500SD

Adjusting the chain is an easy DIY job.

The instructions are in your hand book, allow 25mm movement of the chain Up/down (where the sticker is on the swinging arm)

And then just re torque the clamp bolts.

Mike
Old 25-Jul-2005, 14:24
Big Twin

Betcha you're running stock gearing?

Going up a tooth or two on the rear sprocket, along with a longer chain, and re-set ride height, will give a decent clearance. I run 14/39, only 1 tooth above standard. But my chain is longer and the hugger clears nicely. I used to get clearance problems on stock gearing: it's very tight.