Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 06-Feb-2006, 23:24
Mille

Who is required to inspect a crashed bike?

My brother was recently taken out by a car (big time). He's alright now, but is looking at either restoring a CBR600RR 6 months old, firstly we need it inspected to see if its still road worthy?? If not we're thinking about turning it into a track bike, thats if the frame isn't shafted??

From initial looks all i can see is the rear subframe is snapped off!!! but doesn't look like there's any fork or frame damage (could be wrong though??)

So who do i need to get in touch with to confirm its state??

many thanks in advance....
Old 06-Feb-2006, 23:34
Big Twin

If its a Cat C or B it has to be inspected by VOSA (I think)
Old 07-Feb-2006, 00:47
Big Twin

i would guess that if this is a road accident then there would be some sort of insurance claim,? and perhaps therefore become a total loss and get a respective cat b or c as stated above. and then this would depend if the insurers will sell you back the wreck/salvage.

if thereis no insurance to pay out there will be likeley to be no cat b or c attached to the bike, and therefore not require inspection, however for road use will become subject to an mot test, where alignment is part of the test.

i would expect you can get your frame / bike checked over at places that straightern frames such as Molray at maidstone (assuming they are still there),

the VOSA have a centre (cant remember if its at godstone or redhill) but thier charge is probably a bit higher and they will want to see a road worthy bike, then they will adjsut the VCAR (vehicale condition alert register) to say it has been inspected, but it will still show as a cat b or c .

thats kinda how i understand it any how, sure someone will say if im wrong
Old 07-Feb-2006, 13:43
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
I went through this last year with one of my bikes - bought it back from the insurance company and put it back to what I would call better than original condition (the crash caused scratching to the frame and minor panel damage).
The insurer wanted to see an MOT, receipts for work conducted / spares purchased and also a VOSA inspection certificate.
On enquiring with VOSA and local testing stations I found that the inspection scheme they run did not cover bikes ! it only covered cars, on speaking with my insurer they told me that without an inspection certificate they were willing to provide 3rd party cover only for the bike.
I've not talked with VOSA for some months now but as far as I understand there is still a lack of a motorcycle inspection program.
Needless to say that the bike in question is the only one I have covered as 3rd party only - and I needed a seperate policy for it, my other bikes are comp and are covered by a multi bike policy.
I'm uneasy about using the bike and of late have thought of breaking it or selling it as a track bike.
cheers

Neil
Old 07-Feb-2006, 22:21
Mille

Cheers Bungi, Neil, doesn't look like its going to be an easy process, track bike is looking favourite...
Old 08-Feb-2006, 00:12
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Duke2BSteve
, track bike is looking favourite...

whey what better reason to have a bike!!
Old 08-Feb-2006, 13:22
Mille

Hi duke,
Am in the process of doing the same with a bike, is down as a cat b on the assessors report after a 30mph collision, but all the damage is to the front end, (forks, rad wheel, bodywork, etc.). As long as the frame is straight I wanted to put it back on the road if possible, but I thought I was going to have to put it on track. It looks as if we are going down the same route with the bikes. If I find out any information that will help, I'll u2u it across.
Regards,
Gary
Old 08-Feb-2006, 14:00
Mille

Cheers Gary mate,

Likewise, if i get any info I'll pass it your way..