Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 10-Mar-2006, 18:32
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Simon, it sounds like you've been frequenting the same education establishments as me!
Old 10-Mar-2006, 18:37
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
My mate is good at wheelies ... me I'm crap .... he says that just before you crack the throttle open try to compress the forks and as they bounce back crack the throttle open and pull on the bars.

Works for him everytime.
Old 10-Mar-2006, 18:54
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
Totto, travel along at about 60-70 MPH in 3rd gear as you wind on the throttle flick the clutch with one finger ! she'll come up real smooth ! and then just ballance the bike with the revs!
when it feel's like it's gonna flip! just touch the back brake and down she'll come!

always cover the back brake ! it's your best friend when wheeling

When you have mastered them then you can do stand up ones which are real easy

[Edited on 10-3-2006 by madmav]
Old 10-Mar-2006, 22:34
Mille

Quote:
Originally posted by NBs996
Simon, it sounds like you've been frequenting the same education establishments as me!

Always up for learning something new but never found the roads or more importantly, the time to practice. I did the Andy Burnett and Jimmy Fireblade wheelie schools - at Andy's, I did the best wheelies but I thought it was a bit of a cheat to be honest. He offers a 'wheelie or your money back' guarantee which on a 1200 bandit would be pretty impossible not to do. I would have preferred to work on the technique on a smaller bike rather than relying on the power to get it up. Jimmy's school was great as it was him just working with two of us only - really nice guy and happy to teach any stunts you were interested in and gave us a 5 minute personal stunt show on my S4 at the end. I'd happily do another day with Jimmy - DSC wheelie school anybody?

A friend of mine passed his test and within 3 months he was doing 200m rolling burnouts, complete doughnuts, 2nd gear wheelies, and loads of other stuff. Just seemed to have the knack as well as no fear. He's (thankfully) sold his bike now as all he wanted to do on the road was to feck about on his bike and was getting really dangerous. He's the guy I gave my back protector to as was seriously worried he was going to flip it big time.

Myself, I really don't think my balls will ever be big enough. More or less everytime I've tried to do them, it never feels in control and feels pretty scary. I guess old age and self preservation instincts kick in a little too early in my head.

Laters

simon
Old 11-Mar-2006, 00:15
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Agree, the money back thing is nothing more than an advertising ploy. But that didn't matter cos i could already get one up before attending, I just didn't have the balls to find that floaty point.

It wasn't Andy himself teaching me, I had one of his helpers. But after my third session he'd turned the anti-flip bar vertical and had me floating proper ones and changing gear!

Strangely, I'm a bit tentative with wheelieing the 996, and not very good at it... but could pull a large one on my old 'blade and go through the box without thinking about it. I'd've assumed the torque of the twin would make it easier, maybe it's just that I'm scared of destroying the red thing!

You want to see proper wheelies... have a look at Chillo standing them up over the mountain!
Old 11-Mar-2006, 00:45
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
trying on my 600 monster, find get to about 25mph, hard shut off to load the forks then pin to the stop...comes up easy enough just gonna get the balls not to slam it back down now!! Good Luck!
Old 11-Mar-2006, 00:51
Mille

Quote:
Originally posted by NBs996
It wasn't Andy himself teaching me, I had one of his helpers. But after my third session he'd turned the anti-flip bar vertical and had me floating proper ones and changing gear!

I thought about buying one of those anti flip bars but as I recall, they weren't exactly cheap - £150 or so?? All it was was a plastic stick on a hinge!! Mind you, if it saves you from flipping it, then maybe it's a bargain??

Whatever, I didn't buy one and I'm still rubbish at 'em.

Laters

simon
Old 11-Mar-2006, 01:05
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Best thing I've found for wheelies is a TL1000S, mind you the Magnum 4 and the Husky WRX260 weren't bad
Old 11-Mar-2006, 01:55
Mille

Mood: just love my slipper clutch
gsxr 1000 second gear 75 mph ping the clutch up she comes keep pressure on gear leaver when you hit 100mph roll off the throttle slightly and 3 drops stright in then settle yourself in for a nice 145mph wheelie as long as you like. when you cracked that do the same but click it in fourth same method presure on gear leaver no clutch roll off throttle but now you are doing over 150 this is where you have you next problem THE LANDING as you havent mentioned this you must be ok
Old 11-Mar-2006, 02:31
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
Quote:
Originally posted by clint15quick
gsxr 1000 second gear 75 mph ping the clutch up she comes keep pressure on gear leaver when you hit 100mph roll off the throttle slightly and 3 drops stright in then settle yourself in for a nice 145mph wheelie as long as you like. when you cracked that do the same but click it in fourth same method presure on gear leaver no clutch roll off throttle but now you are doing over 150 this is where you have you next problem THE LANDING as you havent mentioned this you must be ok

my kinda guy!

bring it on!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit