Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 16-Oct-2006, 12:46
500SD

Kids - Pillion

I took my son out for a spin at the weekend for the first time. (borrowed a bike as mine has a single seat) He is 8.

I got a bollocking from the wife when she found out.

Do any of you take your kids out? Do you think it is irresponsible?

Do any of you have older kids who ride? How do you feel about it?
Old 16-Oct-2006, 12:52
Ducati Corse

Mood: Looking for a one way ticket to the 'Ring.
My son was 7 and a half when he first went on my BMW, he went to Donnington on it last year, this year we went to Mugello (I did trailor the bike to Italy) and Donnington on my Ducati.
I use one of those buddy belt things for him to hold onto when I need him to and he's got a topbox to rest against.
He wears all the right clothing and is aware of his responsibilities on the bike and how to behave (bit grown up, but safety first).
We both love it, maybe me more than him.

Last edited by jeff st4s : 16-Oct-2006 at 13:34.
Old 16-Oct-2006, 13:08
Ducati Meccanica

Hmmm well my experience yesterday.

I ride a monster - My son Jase 19 rides a monster - My daughter Tiff 16 is mad about Ducatis - Both monsters were used in DD this year so I no longer have pillion pegs but Jasons has been put back to standard hangers so yesterdays ride out saw myself on Max - Jason on his with Tiff pillion.

I can say I wasn't a happy mummy really - If they were behind I was constantly watching his overtakes, if he was in front I was watching everymove - He did one overtake I would have considered 'slightly dodgy' and as soon as we got back his first words were ''yes i know'' but Tiff confirmed it was the only one and he only seems to make any mistakes at all when i'm following.

I also have a 9 yr old - legally she can also go pillion now - will she ? Not a hope in hell as far as i'm concerned just yet - to me she's too young - but so is my 19 and 16 yr old !!

In some ways it was nice us all out together enjoying a shared hobby - but I have to confess it's a major worry for me despite Jases excellent abilities.

Tis not right having 2 of my kids hooning around the countryside on 2 wheeled death machines

On the other hand - i'm a riding instructor but couldn't bring myself to let my daughter off the leadrein to teach her how to canter so had to send her to a riding school and leave her there !

Tis not easy at all !
Old 16-Oct-2006, 13:16
WSB Hero

Mood: No point in working long hours to die early
It's the problem that other road users pose all the time thats the problem. Wait till you get tail-gated by some knob. I did once so pulled away for safety sake , right into a speed trap. The Ex was not too pleased when she saw it all over the front page.
Carried my kids on bikes from the age of about 3. Also used to ferry the dog about on the bike (no not the EX). But did that as well.
Old 16-Oct-2006, 13:20
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
I think there are several issues over this.

A child has no real concept of danger. We know the risks and can make a judgement. That child trusts us to keep them safe. Taking a child as pillion is in my opinion putting them at risk.

I don't think I've ever seen a child riding pillion who was wearing a correctly sized helmet. Would you wear a helmet that would fall off if you crashed?

Ditto with leathers / boots /gloves.

Having said that, I appreciate that just living poses a risk and each one of my children has been with me several times on our local egg run, which tends to be at low speeds. Personally I think that poses an acceptable risk, but I wince when I see someone riding at 60+ wlth a child as pillion.

For me it's a once a year occassion which the kids enjoy, but I wouldn't do it regularly.
Old 16-Oct-2006, 13:28
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthy
I don't think I've ever seen a child riding pillion who was wearing a correctly sized helmet. Would you wear a helmet that would fall off if you crashed?

Ditto with leathers / boots /gloves.

I can only speak for myself with the kit issue, I know he will grow out or it before he wears it out and good stuff is expensive, but I will not buy the cheap badly made stuff for him.
BMW kids clothing is well made and could get 2 kids use out of it easily, at about £200 for jacket trousers it sounds a lot to spend on a kid, but when my Rukka stuff cost 5 times a much I have no right to be tight with my money.
I have the correct size helmet for him and have it checked regularily at the shop I bought it from for when he need to go up a size he will do, his boots are Moto X ones and gloves he got from babybiker.com
Old 16-Oct-2006, 13:28
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

Too young in my opinion, dont know exactly what the law states but guess the child needs to be wearing the right gear (but so does everyone) and be large/strong enough to hold on securely.

Kids vary so much in size you cant go by age alone, also a quick ride around the block has got to be different to riding along a motorway for a prolonged journey.

Its an interesting thread though as my nephew is ten and Im sure he is going to be asking soon.

Personally my first experience was riding a C90 aged 12, which of course I rode on the road !!!
Old 16-Oct-2006, 13:30
Ducati Meccanica

I believe the only legal issue is - that they can reach the pillion pegs and wear a helmet.
Old 16-Oct-2006, 13:31
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
The law says they have to be able to reach the footpegs, and wear the correct clothing (ie, helmet without black visor, etc).

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 16-Oct-2006, 13:33
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix n max
I believe the only legal issue is - that they can reach the pillion pegs and wear a helmet.

They have to do that and also be able to take care and responsibility for themselves, I've been told if the boys in blue see a kid who is out of there depth then they can do something about it.
Maybe a quote from one of our friendly Police friends could help.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit