Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Mar-2006, 22:41

ouch.. major service!!

put my 748 in for major service this week and was told i needed new rocker arms as they were flaking and scratched.Now looking at a hefty bill . Has anyone had similiar experiences?
Old 29-Mar-2006, 22:45
Dibble

DO NOT GET ME STARTED ....

My bike is the Ducati equivelant to Triggers broom on Only Fools and Horses.

I'm just glad I have Nelly looking after me as if it were a main dealer I'd be applying for a remortgage .... so its some and some
Old 29-Mar-2006, 22:48

been told i need to renew 7 of em!!! went to look today before giving ok to carry out work.
Old 29-Mar-2006, 22:52
Dibble

only 7 .. still a couple short of my worst day .... look on the bright side .....
Old 29-Mar-2006, 22:53
Mille

Mood: dooM
Seven! Jesus, you have my sympathies. I flinched when I was told that 2 of mine had to be replaced on my 18k mile service. I flinched even more when the £1,200 bill came through (granted, this did include a full clutch pack).

I will pray for your bank balance!

Incidently, are the 748's more prone to rocker wear than 9*6's? Is it me or are most of the people on here with the wear problem 748 owners?
Old 29-Mar-2006, 22:54

Does £90 each sound about right ?
Old 29-Mar-2006, 22:58
Dibble

Rob, yeah ... usually about £85 plus vat for openers and about £100 plus vat for closers .....

make sure whoever is doing the work makes sure he gets the new rockers with the latest part number, call Nelly to check if you have to, as there are still some old ones out there .... chuffing chocolate shite and I don't care who from DUK is reading ...
Old 29-Mar-2006, 23:03

thanks for that mate will ring my man up and check he's ordered said parts. Just out of interest what is worse case scenario of damage neglected rockers can cause?
Old 29-Mar-2006, 23:07
Dibble

death to the engine as they continue to flake, break up and deposit chunks of rocker into the engine .....

I could be blunt but i think the above covers it nicely !!!!
Old 29-Mar-2006, 23:14
Big Twin

Rob> We had a big thread on the subject a while back. Most (and I mean most) had suffered to a greater or lesser extent. Dibble was one of the more unfortunate.

From the decent-sized sample we had, there was little evidence that 748's are better or worse than 916/996's , although the testerretta head motors seem largely OK.

Even folk who changed their oil every 1000 miles and religiously warmed their bikes up carefully before use so weren't exempt.

That's not to say that regular oil changes and warmimg up aren't a good thing, although I believe that there's little to be gained by 1000 mile oil changes.

My two-penn'orth is that regular use is the best thing for rocker wear: it's all about mantaining an oil film on the contact surfaces.

Worse case scenario is clapped-out cams = more expense.