Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Mar-2006, 09:45
Ducati Corse

Fallout from leaving the rockers is most likely to be damage to the cam shafts which will then need replacing (possibly all four plus 16 rockers - you do the maths!!)
Correct valve clearances are vital.
Old 30-Mar-2006, 20:42
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
Sorry to hear that mate. just lifted the heads off my 916 for its 25k inspection. luckily mine was A1 infact better than i imagined.
1 rocker was just starting to go, cams are mint, valves also are mint (but getting replaced while its apart)
I bought my 1995 916 over 3 years ago with 8.5k on the clock. now with 25k it has been "used".
oil changes every 2.5 - 3k, belts every 12 months / 6000 miles, and clearances checked every year.
I am lucky enough to have a good mate and independant to look after it for me, and if the clearances start to tighten (still within limits) they are set exactly.
Billy has done me proud on this motor even if it can take a while.
I have full faith in the motor on the 916 again, more than can be said for the dog poo electrics.
Old 30-Mar-2006, 21:29
Dibble

aaah, is that the same Billy that looks after Gary Watts race bikes ???? nice falla, one of JPMs pals I believe ..... and if you've seen one of Garys bikes go you know he knows his stuff ... also your 95 916 isn't within the year range that the chocolate rockers were fitted so you'll always be better off ...
Old 30-Mar-2006, 22:07
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
Same one dibble. it can take a while as it's often at the back of the queue but he does a good job even if its a pesky old road bike.
Yes garys RS is tasty, but i have to say he has just built a rather awesome RS for a customer using a 998R motor but keeping the RS electrical system and injection system. I know because guess who had the task of all the computer work and trying to work out the marelli mapping software and getting it to talk to all the sensors !
The old DOS based software needs a crappy old laptop to run it with a serial port. Billy is not the most computer literate person in the world so jugling round with numerous laptops was doing his (and mine) head in. so i bought him a new HP laptop, and it runs XP as the OS, but has a virtual PC running windows 98 and all the naff old marelli software all on one machine. everyone's a winner (well i will be when i get my bike back anyway)
Old 30-Mar-2006, 22:08
Montjuic

rob sorry to hear that mate. the majority of us have had the same experience,maybe not as many as seven though! are they all openers or is there any closers damaged? if you are interested and its not to late, i have used ones in excellent condition that you can have for £35.00 each. i also have camshafts to suit .
Old 01-Apr-2006, 09:12

thanks for the offer sheeny but new rockers have been ordered. Just gotta wait now!!! its killing me as i will be without the bike for about a week.
Old 05-Apr-2006, 19:49

guess I was lucky with just the 3 then

...somebody told me recently about a replating service but I can't find the details now...make sure you get the old ones back, may be worth investigating the cost savings & quality of this for future services.

- anybody have any experience of it?