Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Feb-2005, 09:56
Mille

Remember that ducati now measure the power at the crank and the wieght is dry!! ie no battery oils etc, they have to do this so thier published specs are more in line with the japanese manufacturers.
The base spec 999 will not put out 139 hp at the rear wheel but it might at the crank. I think it was evertons 03 99r that was dynoed last year, the power output at the rear wheel was very close to the claimed output!!

I have been told that the power output on the 2005 series may be higher but not 20 hp higher that some magazines are reporting and on some models there may not be a noticeable power gain.

the radial calipers on the 999r are not a great improvement on the 4 pad (p34?) brembos on the 998r in fact I prefer the feel of the 998 brakes, and journalists have comented thet a lot of radially mounted calipers are no better for the average rider they just look more bling

dave

ps the best modification, a set of aftermarket fairings that carbon will cost a fortune if it gets dropped let alone in an off, then get the cams dialled in and the squish set and liberate all the power the engine can produce reliably

[Edited on 10-2-2005 by DAVE HARRIS]

[Edited on 10-2-2005 by DAVE HARRIS]
Old 10-Feb-2005, 10:53
500SD

Mood: Happy again with Numptystrada
Does what was a great bike which gave it's rider great pleasure in 04 really become any less so just because it is now 05?
I have an 04 Numptystrada which I enjoy as much as ever despite the fact that there is now an "S" model available. If I was buying now I would probably buy the "S" but I certainly don't see the sense in taking the financial hit just for the sake of having the latest model.
In motorcycling as in many other things there will always be those with the I must have the latest mentality and the money to indulge in it which is fair enough. However to many of us spending the money that it would cost to change might be better spent using our bikes more and enjoying what we have got
The above is just my thoughts and not an attempt to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do with their money
Old 15-Feb-2005, 23:55
Mille

Mood: Sparks will fly. If it keeps on
well said
Old 16-Feb-2005, 00:41
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Rocker has put it very succinctly, couldn't agree more with the Multistrada comments, love the new S but wouldn't take the loss on my 04 bike either.

As for the older 748/9*6 bikes if you buy and sell right, the depreciation can be virtually zero. I've just agreed a price for my SPS and i've had the pleasure of a brilliant bike for nowt.