Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Dec-2004, 18:17
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
Considering an ST

I have given up trying to convince the other half to let me ride to Italy on my own on the 748. So, i need to consider an ST,
# do the Gel seats make a noticable difference?
# is there more room backwards/ forwards than a 748 type
# How many pairs of shoes can she get in the panniers.

Any other advice gratefully recieved.
Thanks.
Old 07-Dec-2004, 18:21
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
OK

1. Don't know about other makes - I have a Sargent on mine which is great for me and made a big difference to the 4S seat, but the seat on my ST2 was comfy enough as it was..

2. Yes...lots more.

3. Loads - I go away for 10 days on the continent and need no more space than that of the panniers.

Andy

[Edited on 7-12-2004 by Rushjob]
Old 07-Dec-2004, 18:38
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I have two seats for mine - the standard one which is fine for everyday (and for trackdays 'cos you can slide off the side of it to hang off a little easier). I also have a Corbin seat which seems very firm at first but is nicely shaped anatomically speaking and very comfy on a long haul. Pillions also prefer it because it's got a nice shape that stops them from sliding forward so easily when the brakes go on.

As for the rest of it, ditto what Rushjob said.

Incidentally, the Corbin seat is available for hire to anyone going on a bit of a tour. As long as I don't need it at the same time your welcome to borrow it for the price of a good bottle of Italy's finest red. You need to swap the seat catch over onto the Corbin from the standard seat, but it's a 30 second twiddle with a 4mm allen key to do that.
Old 07-Dec-2004, 18:45
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
"How many pairs of shoes can she get in the panniers."-enough is the answer-I toured through France, into Italy, then Germany, France, Belgium and home. 17 days 2 up and we only used panniers and a tank bag, standard seat on my ST4S-I did put an extra bit of foam on the pillion since Jo is so skinny and a bit of grippy matting over the seat to stop her sliding off.

John
Old 07-Dec-2004, 18:59
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Quote:
Originally posted by Rushjob
OK

1. Don't know about other makes - I have a Sargent on mine which is great for me and made a big difference to the 4S seat, but the seat on my ST2 was comfy enough as it was..

2. Yes...lots more.

Andy

[Edited on 7-12-2004 by Rushjob]

Glad you like the seat, i can risk going back to Nottinghamshire now.

I'll second points 1 and 2 but can't comment on the panniers as i never had them.
Old 07-Dec-2004, 21:58
Ducati Corse

Both of us find the standard seat fine on my ST4 although Lynn does tend to slide forward when i hit the stoppers.

Rather than how many shoes can you get in the panniers you should be asking how many bags of make-up can you get in the panniers. Shoes go in the tank bag for goodness sake.

And what on earth is frizz reducer?
Old 07-Dec-2004, 22:14
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
you don't need no fancy seat there luvlie super comfy
and perform pretty damn close to the 748
Old 08-Dec-2004, 02:03
500SD

Well, I pick up my04 ST4s ABS on Saturday, but I rode a demonstrator ST3 a coulple of weeks ago. I noticed that the seats on the 04 are more slip resistant than the 03 or 02 models many of the above posters seem to be riding. Also, the seat has a little rise behind the rider for support and perhaps to keep the pillion ridere from sliding forward too far. So, the new seats may be needed improvement over the older ones.
Old 08-Dec-2004, 09:13
Mille

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
Thanks guys