Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-Jun-2004, 11:45

MOT time, light beam corrector

MOT time again, where they stick loads of bits of tape over my lights to try and make them point the right way. These must be an import set. I believe there is a way to get the beam corrected with a small plate thingy. Any one bought one and where from please.
Old 06-Jun-2004, 12:00
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Stimpy...dunno if this is true for the later ones, but the earlier bikes can be altered.
Here goes....
Easiest is if you can remove the headlamp unit completely.
Now extract the dip beam unit & look through the aperture where the bulb fits into the lamp unit itself.
You should see a metal plate with an angle cut on it screwed to the inside of the lamp housing directly in front of the bulb mounting - this creates the dip beam cut off.
Unscrew & remove.
I've seen one that was just a flat plate - rotate through 180 degrees & refit, and one that had an angled bend on to strengthen it - if it's the angled one, either bend thisangle though 180 or cut it off & refit the plate rotated 180 degrees giving the dip you want for the nice MOT man.
Hope it helps.
Andy
Old 06-Jun-2004, 12:11

Cheers Andy,

Will go and have a look in a minute and get it sorted. Strange MOT place as they don't mind my straight through pipes but try and fail my bike every year on floating disks and the lights.
Thanks Again
Old 06-Jun-2004, 19:49
500SD

Stimpy,

If you give Ducati UK a call and explain the problem, they should send you the correct "metal plate" FOC! Tel: 0845 122 2996.

To get at it, you need to remove the projector type lamp from the headlamp assembly - unbolt and remove the black plastic cover on the back of the headlamp assembly and then the 4 screws (the outside 2 of each group of 3) which hold the projector light in place. Once you've got it free of the headlamp assembly, undo the remaining 2 screws which hold the lens onto the body. The beam deflector plate is then located by one screw.

Hope that helps!

Neil.
Old 06-Jun-2004, 23:33

Cheers Neil,

Got it all apart within abiut five minutes as per yours and Andy's instructions. Will give D.UK a ring tomorrow. Thanks to you both for the adbvice. If you ever fancy some cool roads in Devon or Cornwall give me a shout and beer and BBq are on me. Cheers Chaps. Stef