Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 02-Jun-2004, 19:53
500SD

Mood: Pretty good considering....
Car insurance - help needed!

Michael's been driving my cars for years and used to have a classic car policy on his own car, which was sold a couple of years ago. So no no-claims-bonus. Does have max NCB on his bike policy if that's relevant though.

The plan is to transfer my current car, a VW Corrado VR6, currently in my name, to him when my new car arrives next week.

But the quotes are ridiculous! Bearing in mind the car is only worth about £4k and Michael is 40+, no claims or convictions, professional occupation, licence held 20+ years... so far:

Liverpool Victoria - £950
AA - £1,300+ (same comp or TPFT)

Does anyone know of any companies that give you credit for being a named driver on someone else's policy? Or for having NCB on a bike policy?

Thanks.
Old 02-Jun-2004, 20:29
GTL

Mood: ten, nine, eight oh bu**er lets go!
Lizzie,

Know how you feel! had the same problem when I came off company insurance and I had remained a named driver on the wife's policy but could not obtain NCB for all the accident free years on company cars and others, didn't bother to ask whether bike NCB would help, guessed what the response would be!!!

I did however 'push' a broker and obtained I think a 10% reduction on a new policy, trouble is I can't remember who the company was!!!! Will have a look back through the 'filing system' though.

Do try tesco online quotes, have found them to be cheaper than cheap for both kids and when I renewed this year.
Old 02-Jun-2004, 22:04
Mille

Mood: The medication helps!
Hi Lizzie, some companies let you keep your NCB up to two years after you let your last policy laps.

Other than that mate it's very difficult to get anyone to give you more than one year NCD for being a named driver on another policy.

Sorry mate it's probably going to be expensive! I let mine laps on the bike over four years! So two years ago when i bought the Duc it cost me £800 the first year £500 the second and £350 the third!

Mark
Old 02-Jun-2004, 22:06
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Lizzie, most underwriters will let mike transfer his bike no-claims onto a car policy, but that'll mean he has no ncb when it comes to renewing the bike policy.
A better suggestion might be to find an insurer who'll allow him, as your hubby, to share your ncb, which means if you've got 10 year you can use five each. That was suggested to me by Prudential a couple of years back when I was in a similar situation only I don't have a wife!
So maybe try asking your current insurer if it's worth while sacrificing some of your own to help mike out.
Old 02-Jun-2004, 22:09
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
I got some good car quotes from www.elephant.co.uk.

They have some weird accelerated NCB scheme, not sure what would happen when you went to another company

Rob
Old 03-Jun-2004, 00:44
Dibble

Lizzie ...

Ring me tomorrow ....
Old 03-Jun-2004, 13:21
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
Try Bond Lovis on 020 847 2115.

I have had no claims mirrored from one policy to another in the past without too much problem.

The vr6 is a group 17 car believe it or not !
It used to cost me 600 quid fully comp with full protected no claims for mine (sold last year).

You could also try direct line, or elephant, as already suggested.

Cheers,
John.
Old 03-Jun-2004, 19:02
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Lizzie, does Michael have a company car? If he does and he can get his company to write a letter saying he has had so many years without claim it won't be a problem. I haven't had a car of my own since 1975 but got maximum no claims on the motorhome this way.

John
Old 03-Jun-2004, 19:10
Mille

Mood: Super (moto!)
Beware the "accellerated policy".
You get 1 years ncb for 9 months.
Sounds great, one years ncb in 9 months!
You can't transfer it - a years ncb is still 12 months.
This means that your annual insurance is anything but.
It's coming around every 9 months - just another way to take more money from you as you'll need to multiply the quote you get by the correct factor in order to compare the true annulal quotes from other companies.
Avoid like the preverbial plague.

aws
Old 03-Jun-2004, 22:42
Big Twin

Mood: Avatar what Avatar
When I gave up my company car I had the same problem so phoned the same Insurance company as the firm used and they gave me 5 years NCB.

This year I tried e-sure and saved £260. on my Alfa GTV. easy to get a quote on line.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit