Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Sep-2006, 20:22
Big Twin

Mood: is it cos i is a bricklayer
800ss-bad Points????

been reading lots of good things about the 800ss -- is there anything model specific to look out for when purchasing??

TWPD where are you!!
Old 25-Sep-2006, 21:00
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse SE, Evoluzione 2 ....

Mood: Dementor hunted by Foggy :)
It aint got a testastretta or Ohlins Dave

Hants - Meet Popham Airfield every 2nd Sunday of the Month @ 1pm

Ducati Snells of Alton : >>
848 Corse SE Evoluzione 2 : >>
Dementor Site :>>
Sponsor of DD Riders
Old 25-Sep-2006, 21:32
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermob 998
been reading lots of good things about the 800ss -- is there anything model specific to look out for when purchasing??

TWPD where are you!!

Pardon me - I've lost a bit of interest here of late....

Brilliant bikes - vastly underrated, very tweakable and the engine is sweet - free-revvin', responsive and grunty. My tweaked bike (lightened flywheel, PCIII usb, pipes, filter and cams degree-ed in) has been clocked at 150 by other bikes - it's not powerful but, 80bhp and 57ft-lb of torque is ample.

03 bikes are the best spec' wise: identical to a 1000ss chassis apart from the rear shock (Sachs on the 800, Ohlins on the 1000).

04/05 bikes were down-specced to a steel swinging arm, unadjustable forks, 620s/Monster master cylinders, 3-spoke wheels.

I was lucky - I got the parts to upgrade my 04ss and my 05ss (which became my race bike) is actually an 03 that sat in the warehouse for two years before being registered. I also have an 03 bike in bits.

04/05 bikes are slightly lighter due to detail changes.

It is basically a developed and tweaked/refined 750ssie with 900ssie performance and a six-speed box.

As usual, the paint comes off the engine and, endemic to the entire range, is the crappy integrated ECU/instruments.immobiliser. The instruments seem to be unreliable which, given the cost is a real bummer. I'm about to get my third set fitted under warranty (maybe they don't like our bumpy northern roads?)...

Other than that - I love them. They are ideal road bikes, cheap to buy & run, with a chassis that is every bit as good as the 4 valvers once its tweaked and set up.

I put an extra 2 teeth on the rear which really pepped up the acceleration and it now has no trouble staying with most things on the road to about 120. It sounds awesome and I never feel like it needs more power. 100mph comes up at about 5700 rpm.

Last edited by twpd : 25-Sep-2006 at 22:26.
Old 25-Sep-2006, 22:31
Big Twin

thanks for that TWPD just what i was looking for mate---a work mate of mine (soon to be ex st2 owner,and new owner of a 800ss) has found an 03 at a at a very good price, i think your post has just convinced him to go for it- a bit sceptical cos you just dont see em about!-thanks

roy-- thanks for your input you were a great help your precise observations and veracious comments were paticularly helpfull on this occasion- are the hants mob at popham on the 8th or we all off to cadwell?????
TWPD says
chassis that is every bit as good as the 4 valvers once its tweaked and set up.
Old 28-Sep-2006, 17:05
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Quote:

Apparently it is wise to have a spare top end available at all times - I just happen to have a low-mileage set of heads and cylinders available.....

Just joking about needing the spares!

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 28-Sep-2006, 17:20
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by paynep
Apparently it is wise to have a spare top end available at all times - I just happen to have a low-mileage set of heads and cylinders available.....

Just joking about needing the spares!

I was tempted, believe me. But, if you'd seen my garage and the fact that I have 3 of them......I think I may have enough spares!
Old 28-Sep-2006, 17:31
Big Twin

no SS owner can have enough spares- even if it isnt the parts he/she necessarily needs-- paul i'll pass the info on
Old 28-Sep-2006, 17:53
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse SE, Evoluzione 2 ....

Mood: Dementor hunted by Foggy :)
Quote:
thanks for that TWPD just what i was looking for mate---a work mate of mine (soon to be ex st2 owner,and new owner of a 800ss) has found an 03 at a at a very good price, i think your post has just convinced him to go for it- a bit sceptical cos you just dont see em about!-thanks

roy-- thanks for your input you were a great help your precise observations and veracious comments were paticularly helpfull on this occasion- are the hants mob at popham on the 8th or we all off to cadwell?????
TWPD says
chassis that is every bit as good as the 4 valvers once its tweaked and set up.

Glad to be of help Dave

Yep Popham on the 8th, long time no see

Hants - Meet Popham Airfield every 2nd Sunday of the Month @ 1pm

Ducati Snells of Alton : >>
848 Corse SE Evoluzione 2 : >>
Dementor Site :>>
Sponsor of DD Riders