Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Jul-2004, 22:06
Mille

Sick 748 help

Hi,

Just picked my bike up after having the belts changed at Bob Hill's. On the way home it developed a misfire then cut out. Pulled over tried to restart it no joy, called out the RAC who turned up in about 10 mins, he checked the battery etc and thought that the battery wasn't getting any charge from the alternator. Anyway he charged the battery and it fired up straight away.

Now when I turned the ignition switch the only light that comes on the dash is the neutral light, should the red "gen" light come on aswell. I think the battery might be on the way out as the bike is now 9 years old and looks like it might be on the original Yuasa battery although I'm not sure.

Any help would be welcome before I speak with Bob Hill's tomorrow.

Ta
Old 05-Jul-2004, 22:11
Ducati Corse

Batteries are normally doing well if they last three years! Your problem sounds more like the old regulator issue or perhaps the connector down by the battery.
Old 05-Jul-2004, 22:19
Mille

It had a new rectifier when I bought it, I think that they must have disturbed something when it went in for the belt change not sure what if anyone knows at least it will make sound like I know what I'm talking about
Old 05-Jul-2004, 22:39
Ducati Corse

Have you got a multi meter? Get the bike running and measure the voltage across the battery. At 3000 rpm it should be 14 volts or so. If its 12 or less then the regulator has failed or for some reason the battery isnt charging which is probably caused by the connector. They would have to take the battery off to change the belts which might have disturbed the connector.

I dont have a 748 so i cant tell you exactly where this connector is but its somewhere down by the battery.

I've also had a load of wine so all the above might be rubbish.
Old 05-Jul-2004, 22:47
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
there is a block connector behind the battery tray quite easy to spot once you've taken the battery tray off (yellow wires white plastic connector) mine had burnt out give it a check as it gave the same probs as yours misfire then cutting out turned out it wasn't charging with the lights on and had drained the battery bumped it easily and it ran fine with the lights off.
replace the connector with pushfit connectors or just solder them together cutting out the need for connectors and finish off with a bit of that heatshrink stuff

[Edited on 5-7-2004 by Nigel C]
Old 05-Jul-2004, 23:02
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
http://217.199.188.40/xmb/viewthread...=7606#pid68089

this may help a bit
Old 06-Jul-2004, 09:03
Mille

Cheers guys, I'll speak with the dealer and check out the above
Old 08-Jul-2004, 16:47
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
When i had a 12 k belt service done on a 748 some while ago i got it back with a trapped ( shorted) wire where they had been careless with the battery removal and a different battery altogether.
The reply to my enquiry about the battery was " well its working whats the problem"
Mine had been almost new before some other lucky ******* got it when he would have collected his bike from the same dealer.
DON'T THESE PEOPLE CARE!
Old 08-Jul-2004, 19:01
Mille

Hmmm same dealer perhaps