Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 30-May-2004, 23:36
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
Who\'s ever dropped one?

According to the laws of physics any two wheeled vehicle will fall over without some form of assistance....
Since we are bipeds we rely on balance which laughs in the face of physics...This is a very complex action....
People fall over all the time. Be it through alcohol or imbalance in the fluid of the ear.
Since this is such a complex action AND adding 150 KG (roughly of weight) which WANTS to fall over...
Is it any surprise that people drop their bike whilst stationary or at low speed manoeuvres.
Although the bike may have fallen over albeit by natural causes...WHO amongst you has been present when your bike has thus fallen over?
Old 30-May-2004, 23:42
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
In my teens I had a habbit of digging the non folding pegs on my RD350 aircooled into the ground on roundabouts, once or twice this resulted in the rear wheel leaving the ground and then me crashing.
Old 30-May-2004, 23:50
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
I've had 4 accidents in my time, two of them were my fault, the worst being when a car did a u-turn in front of me. One very broken Z1000 and one not-so broken TP. Actually, that one hurt quite a lot (steel fuel tank - I went over the bars ... I'm sure you can figure out the rest, although I've had kids since so they still work!)

I've had numerous times when I've thought I was gone and somehow not come off, coming around a blind corner in the National Park in Sydney at a good pace (on a 250 trying to catch up to a guy on a Daytona 1200) and came across some sand on the apex. Ended up with no hands on the handlebars, feet off the footpegs and my chest on the tank - ran straight across the road, lucky no cars were coming, and on to the dirt on the other side weaving around until I slid off the tank and managed to grab the handlebars and the front brake and slow myself down. On the other side of the dirt I ended up in was a bunch of tree's then a drop I was 18 and in the Army at the time, therefore clearly immortal

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by tp-996]
Old 30-May-2004, 23:51
Ducati Meccanica

Thanks skidlids for being honest...Did you know that most good bikers DO NOT drop their bikes....

I would say that losing traction is not DROPPING it...Nuff respect for those that have...

Mine normally falls over when I am sitting on it, since my feet dont touch the floor
Old 30-May-2004, 23:52
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Hey KB.... You forgot the most common reason in your poll subjects for why people drop their bikes..

Forgetting to take your disc lock off !!

( yes I have done it ... twice in one go before I clicked what the problem was ! )
Old 30-May-2004, 23:52
MotoGP God

Well, ... I've never dropped any of them then .... :P

Does that make me good?
Old 30-May-2004, 23:54
MotoGP God

My brother-in-law dropped my 250 because he left the disc lock on. Broke the clutch lever and scratched the magneto cover. I usually leave one of those flourescent wires that go on to the handle bars to remind u that it's on.

Handy ...
Old 30-May-2004, 23:55
Ducati Meccanica

No Tony...That makes you SUPERMAN or...having stabilizers!
AND I didn't see your Red pants over your leathers on Saturday!!!:P

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by kwikbitch]
Old 31-May-2004, 00:09
MotoGP God

They were my non-kinky leathers!
Old 31-May-2004, 00:09
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
when I did a lot of off roading I use to drop the bike a fair bit, hitting wet clay at speed was asking for it, also had the front wheel of my CR250 disapear down a two foot deep hole once throwing me over the bars.
Does doing stand up wheelies on the passanger pegs and then flipping it count as dropping it as it felt more like throwing it away.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit