Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 04-Jun-2004, 15:39
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by antonye
The price of fuel in the UK has nothing to do with who is in power in the US, nor the output from OPEC.
[Edited on 4-6-2004 by antonye]

No need to patronise, I'm not stupid. I fully recognise that UK taxation is the biggest factor in the price of fuel in the UK.

I'm simply pointing out that the basic laws of supply and demand, the political stability of the major oil producing nations and the fact that oil is a finite resource have an influence here as well.

The recent OPEC talks to increase production were an important factor in stopping the shaky world economic recovery slide back into another recession - as it has done with so many earlier disruptions and threats to the world oil supply. Nobody would need to worry about the price of fuel in the UK then, we'd all be too busy moving to Bangalore trying to hang onto our jobs, that's if we could afford to sell up and go because we'd probably be deep in negative equity - again.

Whoever is in power in the US has a great deal to do with the world oil supply - especially if you are sponsored by the oil lobby. But we see no slow down in the US greed for scarce resources and their expectation is that low gas prices will allow them to drive huge gas guzzling 4x4's forever

"Well Leroy, Ah'll jes vote for any lil ol president as long as ah kin drive mah trurk"

Seems to be the prevailing attitude and the Hummers hum at 8 mpg, causing an insatiable US thirst for fuel. Not much political influence quenching that particular thirst. Maybe they should all pay our gas prices and see if that drives them out of their antique technology into more fuel efficient vehicles, but it's not gonna happen in an election year and probably never will.
Old 04-Jun-2004, 15:51

Mood: Chilled
One of the reasons that prices are high is due to commercial oil stocks being low, China is using so much oil the oil companies are falling over themselves to meet demand.

Any boycott in the western world will only divert oil to China who are happy to pay and build up startegic stocks just as the US are doing.

The US and China are two countries who frankly don't give a dam about others so its hard to see hwta effect our efforst would have

Rob
Old 04-Jun-2004, 15:56
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Getting back to the point though Jools, the people are complaining and want to protest about high fuel prices. The cost of a barrel of oil has little impact on the pump price of petrol - as can be seen in the varying costs of a litre of petrol across both Europe and the rest of the world.

The main cause of the high price of petrol in the UK is the 73% of tax levied on the base price by the Government.

Therefore this has nothing to do with Bush being the President of the US! The consumers in the UK would be paying these prices whether he was the president or not - his appointment haven't made the reserves of oil any smaller!

While I agree that not much is being done limit the fuel economy of cars in the US by the US Government, not every American voted for Bush and I suspect a good deal of those who didn't still drive their big ol' trucks. Again, this is the culture of the Americans and nothing to do with Bush.

So why isn't the UK Government putting the resources into alternative methods of economical transport - buses, trains, motorbikes? Instead they end up making the M25 into 12 lanes to fit more cars on it! And where does that money come from? Fuel tax!

"I reckon they should increase speeding fines so they can lower the fuel tax - that way we get more people into cars to nick for speeding!"
Old 04-Jun-2004, 16:20
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
its very basic economics im afraid, supply and demand.

if supply is short and demand is high prices go up
if supply is high and demand is low prices go down.

unless you are a member of opec or are sitting on a massive oilfield elsewhere there is jack all you can do about it. the tax is an issue but they will get it somewhere else if not on fuel.

personally i dont mind paying a few pence more for a while, if you are worrying about it when you are out on your ducati, you really should get out more.
Old 04-Jun-2004, 16:40
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray
Who rakes in the most cash from Petrol & Diesel.

The government.

They rake in more from the rise in the price of crude through fuel tax and the tax on the tax, VAT, well over 70% of the price of fuel is tax. They will rake in far more from the current rises in fuel prices than they would by sticking a few pence more tax on.

Roll on the next fuel protest.

Ray.

spot on - boycott who you like but it wont reduce prices. Now, if we all refused to use our own motor powered transport and use public transport.....the country would stop and the economic impact would be huge, which may wake the suits up...

it is not just supply and demand either, as supply in the states is equal/higher than ours, yet their price remains low

tax is the burden
Old 04-Jun-2004, 16:48
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Its not just about a few pence more to fill the Duke.

How does the food you eat get transported?

How did that salesman who visited you today get to see you?

Yep, big fuel prices can have an impact on every facet of what you consume.

Yep the government have to get the money from somewhere but what hacks me off is the amount they waste, regional assembly anyone??

Interesting bit on the beeb News this morning claimed that while the cost of running a car had not gone up in the last 30 or so years in real terms (allowing for inflation), the cost of public transport had doubled comparatively!!

Another classic example of how the buffoons who run this country of all persuasions can't get it right!!

Enough of this heavy topic for a Friday, I'm off home in me LPG powered car to tear around on my bike while I can still just about afford the petrol!!

Ray
Old 04-Jun-2004, 17:19
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Murray
Quote:
Originally posted by dave w
The missus got this e mail at work today and wanted to share it with all you peeps on here...

It is worth a try anyhow !

PETROL PRICES......

We are going to hit close to 89p a litre by the summer.

Want petrol prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

<snip>

Which is precisely what you are not advocating.

Let's see, now.... you're asking everyone to spawn spam, and your grasp of the economics of the oil industry and fuel retailing are shakier than a 916 with a misfire.

Nice one.

Ouch !!!

My economics knowledge is pretty much non existent BUT....

I was only forwarding an e mail the missus received at work....I knew there would be people here in opposition but I DIDN'T expect to have somebody come along and have a personal stab at me !!

All I said was that it had to be worth a try !

Cheers for that !

( are you mates with Vman per chance ??? )

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by dave w]
Old 04-Jun-2004, 17:53
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Yeah, I thought that was a harsh too dave!
Old 04-Jun-2004, 19:14
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Ignore Neil, he's a grumpy old bast at the best of times
Old 04-Jun-2004, 20:41
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Thanks Mr E.... First impressions and all that !!!

I am getting a really strange de-ja-vu feeling now !!!!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit