Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-May-2004, 12:18

Mood: 748s and me, Raring to go!!!
748s + lanky rider, ouch! Ahh!

Can anyone help! - Just gone from a 900FE to 748s ie; Armchair to torture rack. Not that bad really, the only problem i'm having is on long journeys it's very uncomfortable in the lower neck region and difficult to read road signs easily. I'm 6ft tall and 95kilos have no real problems with handling so far (std settings), but feel that the back end needs to be lowered, which i believe will slow up the front steering and may give ground clearance problems. Has anyone out there of a similar build overcome this issue or can anyone recommend a good set-up service?
JR

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by JR]
Old 24-May-2004, 12:25
Big Twin

Don't see how lowering the back end would make a difference mate, your best bet is getting a set of Cycle cat rearsets and clip-ons, fully adjustable etc. Not cheap mind, will cost in the region of 500 quid
Old 24-May-2004, 12:31
Big Twin

Drop a u2u to a member called 'flyingbanana'.

I know he has some form of clip-ons on his bike...not sure why he fitted them but perhaps for the same reasons you are mentioning. Could be worth talking too?

I'm afraid what your experiencing is just the nature of the beast. I'm the same 6ft, 15+ stone, and still after a couple of years and numerous set-up changes, find the riding position uncomfortable at times.

May be worth taking some suspension readings at the rear (ride height etc.) and posting what you find.

I run with the rear 'relatively' low, but speed up the steering by running with the steering head on 'steep'. Might be worth considering?
Old 24-May-2004, 12:35
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Its gotta be uncomfortable!!!!

It just means you have to get off more often to appreciate how gorgeous she looks!!!

Tim
Old 24-May-2004, 15:04
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
748\'s

I'm 6 foot 1 and found that a taller screen (not double bubble, the other one) actually helped neck ache though not why I bought it.
There was also an earlier thread about rotating the clip ons forward so that wrist and fingers lie in a straight line. Tried it on the left clip on, seems to help (a clutch less like a truck would be better). Doing the right hand one at some point but this needs disassembly.

Otherwise agree with Rattler.
Old 24-May-2004, 16:01

Thx for the help so far. I'll probably have a play with the rear ride height adjuster and steepen the head angle and take it from there. I've also got Gilles rearsets and vario bars to fit at some time which may give me a few more options. Still think my main problem is the seat height/angle in relation to clip-on position. Compared mine to a mates CB-RR and was a significant differance. Already fitted a MRA double bubble screen which was a improvement (don't have to look at the instruments from the outside of the screen now). If all else fails i've got three further options, a) drop a line to Ruben Zaus, b) have my second vertebra removed, c) Travel at a 100+ all the time, but already have 5 points, so could lose my licence before i go to Estoril MotoGP in Sept.
Old 24-May-2004, 16:21
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally posted by JR
I'm 6ft tall and 95kilos have no real problems with handling so far JR

I should be so lucky!!
Old 24-May-2004, 18:26
Mille

I'm 6'3" 95kgs and find the riding position on 996 to be perfect.
Being taller than most, the reach to the bars is less of a problem. It seems such a natural crouched position to be in.

The longer you ride the more strengthened your upper arms and neck muscles will become. Give it time before rushing out and doing all sorts of adjustments. You may not need to do any.
However, there is one important adjustment you must consider; you must align the brake and clutch levers such that when you hold your palm out flat on top of the levers, there should be no kink in your wrist. An imaginary straight should exist from finger tips to elbows. Otherwise serious fatigue can be a problem. (RSA).
I have been cycling for 35 odd years (road racing and MTB), the levers are always one of the first adjustments I make to any of my bikes (MTB) and to people new to cycling.

Your legs will get acustomed to a tight riding position, in time.
You may even get cramp lifting your feet upto the rearsets - I did in the early stages of ownership.
Three years down the line, I don't give it a second thought - and still on original rearsets.

Removing the levers is easy - slacken the retaining bolts to remove the levers which exposes a barrel pin on the underside of the bars. Simply pull them out, reassemble levers and re-align to your physique.
Think of the money you have saved .
Owning a Ducati is a never ending drain on my resources, but pleasure and excitement far exceed any drawbacks I encounter
Enjoy
Old 24-May-2004, 21:32
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
i'm 6' 2" and i don't find it uncomfortable only round the town and at low speeds does it get tiresome with the weight on the wrists but i suppose iv'e got used to it now after two years so i don't even think about it now.

did try to adjust the bars / levers etc but found there is no adjustment (well very little) so left it standard

[Edited on 24-5-2004 by Nigel C]
Old 26-May-2004, 16:29

What's the significance of the Banana's Nigel C
For the record, have no problem with wrists, legs, back or cramp, just lower neck. Must be to long in the back, guess thats why Jamie Whitham never rode one.
Bike and me 130 miles apart at the moment, but will take all relevant advice onboard for when we next meet.
JR.