Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 08-Oct-2004, 19:45
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler

Is the objective here to give existing DSC members a race series, or increase DSC membership?

Both surley?
Old 08-Oct-2004, 19:57
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
So who is this series for ????
A s with the pevious 6 years I will again be going racing next year, probably with the same two clubs which are North Glos and New Era.
Currently looking at racing my ZXR400 and R6 with maybe the odd outing on my 916. All bikes paid for and all have spare wheels discs etc. so there is no cost envolved in that side of it.
Now if I am to do this mini series I have to basically make a decision by the end of the month pay £200 then go out and source a bike and prep it before the race season starts.
Now as the rules stand I'm happy to do this but if they are going to change then I need to know before I do anything.

Tim the answer to your question, could well be yes, if I come across another P reg 600SS for a grand but not allowed to race it and can only find a monster for £1500 to £2000 then it would appear to defeat the object of building cheap tracbikes.
As Lizzie says its about Inclusion not Exclusion and thats also how I read the original rules.

Only 23 more days to make a decision
Old 08-Oct-2004, 20:34
500SD

Mood: DOH!
Hey you guys, the difference between a monster and an SS on track? Sod all I would say!
Speaking as someone who regularly gets whupped by 250's, supermotos, singles, even 125's, I can tell you that the rider is way way more important than the bike.
Personally, if I could afford to do it, I would get an SS just because I'm more comfortable on that type of bike. I think it would be a real shame to exclude SS's and 620's too. Like Lizzy says, that'll just limit how many people might want to do it. You need to get 25 entries remember, so let everyone in, if it turns out that 620 SS's and Multi's are ruling the roost, then change the rules next year to reflect that, because by then you'll have everyone hooked!
In these days of dwindling club race Ducatis it would be so cool to see this take off, I for one wish I could afford it, it would be a great way to build my experience.
I suppose what I'm trying to get across is this, don't spoil the pudding arguing about the details just now, give it a taste first!
Old 08-Oct-2004, 20:41
500SD

Mood: Pretty good considering....
Sorry Tim, wasn't intended to be a pop at you, it's just that all this concentration on the detail seems to me to be obscuring the point of all this. And I took your comment to mean - surely no-one would not join in just because they couldn't use a SS or a 620, rightly or wrongly.

As far as who is this for? Primarily for the current DSC membership I would say - but we might struggle for a full grid (too early to say) so what's wrong with casting the net wide enough to hopefully ensure full support but not restricting the potential candidates too much? Let's face it, it's all academic if we can't get enough people signed up.

The suggested rules weren't just hatched over a pint, a lot of thought has already gone into this, with, as I understand it, the overbore being allowed for 600s being quid pro quo for competing against 620s. Also I believe there is a similar series running for 750s/800s in the US quite successfully.

I think it's a great idea and Michael's on the point of choosing his race number already
Old 08-Oct-2004, 20:42
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Why would you not want to include as many ducati models as possible? Asthetics, Tim? Come on!
Old 09-Oct-2004, 01:43
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by lizzie
I think it's a great idea and Michael's on the point of choosing his race number already

As long as it's not 12 thats fine

Old 09-Oct-2004, 10:33
Mille

I have persuaded myself that I should do this so I will send chris my cheque and will ask for number 11 as I forsee some intimate mettings with gravel traps.

dave
Old 09-Oct-2004, 11:35
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by Felix
Why would you not want to include as many ducati models as possible? Asthetics, Tim? Come on!

Yep the more the merrier, the asthetics don't bother me, but I was responding to Lizzie's statement about a mixed race being asthetically more pleasing and I think a single bike series looks more so???

Tim
Old 09-Oct-2004, 11:46
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
Quote:
Originally posted by Felix

and what about the new 620 Multistrada? Ok I will get my coat.........

It is interesting how much detail everybody goes into with all questions, some interesting points in all of this though.

It has to be a Ducati series, imagine the field day the press would have with a Ducati Club running Hondas!

I guess the intention of the series is firstly to have fun for existing members by taking a step up from track days which are perhaps at their limit of fun per pound already. I could never relax and enjoy the day fully knowing that I was riding my pride and joy and had yet to ride home on her.

The second reason would be I guess as increased exposure for the club and hopefully that would result in increased membership.

Perhaps more importantly it is a way of again putting of value back to the membership which has and always will be the ethos of this club, - it is for the members. I can see the events as being a great focus of involvement for not just those that are racing but for those members like me who would love to turn up (what a great family day out it could be) and watch and feel part of what was happening on track.
Old 09-Oct-2004, 11:54
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I guess the intention of the series is firstly to have fun for existing members by taking a step up from track days which are perhaps at their limit of fun per pound already. I could never relax and enjoy the day fully knowing that I was riding my pride and joy and had yet to ride home on her.

The second reason would be I guess as increased exposure for the club and hopefully that would result in increased membership.

Perhaps more importantly it is a way of again putting of value back to the membership which has and always will be the ethos of this club, - it is for the members. I can see the events as being a great focus of involvement for not just those that are racing but for those members like me who would love to turn up (what a great family day out it could be) and watch and feel part of what was happening on track.

I agree Ian, as long as the membership growth is secondary thats fine, "value back into the membership" would be my key hope for this - but I also take Lizzie's point about ensuring a full grid too and needing to be accomodating of potential new members who would help fill these up (if necessary).

Tim