Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 19-Oct-2004, 18:59
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
I am waiting - still not sure of the rules and shed loads too much to read...not sure of costs and cant afford a couple fo grand (already have the bike)...really appeals but more to think about...if it is only DSC peeps (and I know it wont exactly be friendly!!) then I would be 80% sure to do. If not, 100% wont.
Old 19-Oct-2004, 19:15
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Bradders-rule 1-only members of DSC may take part-in other words if they ain't members then they have to join to compete. Rules are virtually there, just need a technical check with Neil Spalding.

Rough Draft
2 classes 583cc and 620/675
no engine mods apart from big bore kit.
Carburetors may be changed but inlet manifolds and valves must be standard.
standard fork outers, modified internals allowed, modded rear shock allowed.
Exhaust mods allowed, with re-jetting or ecu chip change.
Footrest position can be changed.
Handlebars can be changed.
Fairing can be added or removed.
Standard wheels with 3.5 front 4.5 rear rims
Road legal moulded tread tyres-probably from an allowable list.
Wets-we will take a vote amongst paid up entrants as to whether or not to allow them.
Brakes, twin disk's are allowable but must be standard model specific.

Thats about it so get your entries in.

John
Old 19-Oct-2004, 19:30
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Those rules are looking very attractive Monty, could you consider the following changes to your Rough Draft as shown in bold type in brackets, Also for entrants remember you will have to run race numbers as per ACU regs

2 classes 583cc and 620/675
no engine mods apart from big bore kit.
Carburetors may be changed ( Hopefully not Keihin smoothbores very pricey unless only in the big bore class) but inlet manifolds and valves must be standard.
standard fork outers, modified internals allowed, modded rear shock allowed.
Exhaust mods allowed, with re-jetting or ecu chip change. (Hopefully allowed to use K&N, nice induction sound)
Footrest position can be changed.
Handlebars can be changed.
Fairing can be added or removed.
Standard wheels with 3.5 front 4.5 rear rims
Road legal moulded tread tyres-probably from an allowable list.
Wets-we will take a vote amongst paid up entrants as to whether or not to allow them.
Brakes, twin disk's are allowable but must be standard model specific. ( or any Ducati OE part if using single disc setup)

[Edited on 19-10-2004 by skidlids]
Old 20-Oct-2004, 13:10
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Boys,

I will take these last mods to the rules with me when I meet up with Neil on Friday lunch time. I will post no later than Monday morning the final rules, so that people can make their decision.

On the face of Skidlids suggestions, my views are:

1) Anyone going to expensive carbs, would be better off starting with a 620 and it will be cheaper anyway + he would still be 5hp down on a 620 unless he bores it.

2) K&N filters are allowed.

3) If single disc, I think that any OE equipment is probably ok, but no radial calipers or other trick bits.

Confirmation on Monday.

Currently I have 10 deposits in the file, so we need to find some more fairly quickly.

Chris
Old 20-Oct-2004, 15:23
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
Chris, re wet tyres

We need an option for all conditions - dry, wet/dry and wet.

Dry is usually obvious, it's a Super Corsa ar similar. Wet/dry is tricky - depending on the circumstances, you'll fall off in the damp on an SC. In the wet, you either need a good quality treaded road tyre and reduced lap times or you allow wets. Personally I'd allow wets, a set should last the year as long as the rider only uses them in the wet.

This year has been a nightmare for tyre choice. Often half the circuit has been wet and the other dry. At Donny at the weekend I went out with a wet front and dry rear and came in after two laps as four had fallen already and my rear was slipping all over the place and it was only a matter of time before I was next.

It does add a couple of hundred to the cost, but it allows for safer racing in all conditions.

Regs are taking shape nicely though, well done for listening and persisting with it.

WeeJohnyB
Old 20-Oct-2004, 15:31
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
As for sharing the grid with another series, let's hope we get the minimum that we can agree with New Era that they don't put anyone else on with us, however, it's commercial reality I'm afraid. If it's under what's agreed, or numbers change during the year, fact is they'll put others out with the Ducs. It would be a shame, but by no means the end of the world - you'd still have the same people having the same amount of fun racing with their mates. (although I believe there will be a lot of 'new' friends as we'll fill the grid with people who are not currently members of the DSC and will only join to race).

WeeJohnyB
Old 20-Oct-2004, 16:02
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

WJB

With regard to your comments on tyres, I have to say that I am in agreement with what you have said. However as Monty has posted, if the majority of participants for reason of cost wish to ban wets, then personally I dont have a problem with it.

I suppose this all boils down to the fact that racing has never been a budget activity.

Chris
Old 20-Oct-2004, 16:42
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Gents,

where has the 5.5 inch rear rim option gone?

This was std on a 900ss etc and its easier to find 180/120 tyre pairs at competitive prices than 170 widths......

I'll admit that I'm biased as I want to use the rims off my 888 rather than have to buy two sets of everything, and I don't think that the extra inch will make that much difference.

At least, that's what she tells me......

Cheers,
Paul
Old 20-Oct-2004, 17:09
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Paul,

This one is still open to some debate, there is a greater range of tyres in the 180 size rather than the std (160?). The discussion has been focused round the additional costs incurred for people in buying replacement wheels.

You cant have it both ways, either we tighten the rules or you guys will be spending more money.

Chris
Old 21-Oct-2004, 16:30
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Things are looking up. Rules, keep 'em simple and cheap. Mix and match standard bits as far as possible but no 999r motors in a 600ss frame!!

If anyone needs some help building or running a bike OOp North let me know. I'll do what I can.

Ray.