Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Mar-2004, 22:32
Mille

Mood: Shiney
My 99 748 Bip had 31,500 miles on the clock when I sold it last year.

Always serviced, only on second clutch, had one oil pressure switch and one neutral light switch.

The new owner is on 35,000 + and has only put tyres on it.
Old 09-Mar-2004, 22:42
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Just knocked the mileage on my 916Bp over the 20K mark earlier this evening, do my own servicing, changing the belts every 6k and oil and filter every 3k using Silkolene Comp4, looking into making a test lead to monitor fuel pump current draw to try and determine when best to replace the fuel filter.
Old 10-Mar-2004, 09:34
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin
Bikes: 848

I've a '99 996Bp and now on 26,000-odd.

Same story as the rest, regular servicing by someone who knows what they are doing and you should be largely trouble-free.

And ride it, lots - that's what they are for. I definitely think they improve with age ;-)
Old 10-Mar-2004, 19:59
Montjuic

Mood: Deeply Grooved....
Just to balance things up a bit; my Feb 2002 996s has nearly 20k on the clock. But, it had the engine rebuilt under warranty at about 9.5k and problems started long before that. Only non-engine problem I have had with mine is the rear brake master cylinder.

I suspect that, if a 99x/74x Duke gets beyond about 6/7k trouble free, then it will probably stay that way for a long time.

Happy hunting
Old 11-Mar-2004, 13:16
Big Twin
Bikes: 916SPS Ratbike + 749R Shed

Mood: Ugly girls (749) are more dirty.....
My '96 748BP has 66000kms on the clock (41250miles)......current engine has been fitted for last 12000miles (16K total) since first motor expired at 29500miles (big end failure entering Donington Esses...not covered on warranty)
Old 12-Mar-2004, 10:17
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
The way to gauge it is that any bike looked after will keep going - as long as you keep it looked after!

Servicing is slightly more expensive than Jap bikes, but Ducatis retain their values much better. What you lose on one you gain on the other, so to speak.

Most Ducati problems arise within the first two years or 8K miles, as most people seem to experience. Any Ducati that lasts over 12K without fault has obviously been well looked after!

My mate Neil, who write the Used section in Bike mag (and owns a 750SS with some horrendous mileage on it) says that he'd rather buy a Duke with a high mileage on it that shows it has been well looked after than one with a low mileage but no servicing.

Good advice if ever I heard any!

For houses it's "location, location, location" - with Ducatis it's "servicing, servicing, servicing" !!
Old 12-Mar-2004, 10:42
Dibble

well apart from rockers ... mine has been fine, 18k now, new rockers all round and whoever gets it next will have a well cared for and sorted bike ( I have a wad of bills to prove it .. )

And they love to be ridden rather than kept as ornaments ...

P