Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Nov-2004, 10:37
Mille

Mood: One day I'll be allowed out to play......
Cheers Ray,

Anyone else with recommendations - or should I go for the 748 and save 500 notes???

Jas
Old 30-Nov-2004, 11:34
Ducati Corse

748 or 916?

Hi Jaz - depends on what level of performance you're used to. If you currently/recently have good experience of riding bikes producing 100bhp+ then I'd say go for the 916. If you are more experienced on bikes with lower power then the 748 would satisfy. Remember the running costs are broadly similar. You should be able to find a genuine 916 for around £4K at this time of year - possibly try posting on the Ducati Owners Club and UKMOC sites and putting a wanted ad in MCN.

[Edited on 30-11-2004 by Henners]
Old 05-Dec-2004, 17:47
Mille

Mood: Erratic
Well I got the bike a 97 916 Bip with 1520 miles on the clock paid £3700 for it. The chap, who was considerably richer than me, brought it, injured his back quite seriously and never road it again until recently when he realised that he was never going to be able to ride it again.
The lower body work has been knocked about a bit and its been knocked off its stand at some point as its been stored in his workshop, but after pulling the panels off and having a good look around, the engine is brand new as you would expect. So after a bit of paint work and a good service it should be a nice bike.
The history with the bike showed it had a belt change and service in 99, but when I checked the belts it had still got the old ones on with the white righting. When I picked it up I went for a test ride and gave it a bit of stick through the gears, scary or what!
Any way I suppose the point I’m trying to make is that its is still difficult to get a cheep Duke because even this bike will have to have a good couple of hundred quid spent on it to bring it up to the usable standard that you would expect a bike of this mileage to be in.
Old 06-Dec-2004, 01:20
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Well done, hope you enjoy it.
Old 17-Dec-2004, 17:04
Mille

Mood: One day I'll be allowed out to play......
Got mine too...

97' 916 BP with 4600 miles. Had a little paint in the past, but repaired well with original panels. Also has newer 5 spoke wheels & a carbon mono seat, painted with the number plates front and back...........lovely.

Needs a little TLC to get perfect, but for 3300, you cannot quibble too much.
Just booked it in for new belts - as a precaution.

Had it checked out by OYB service crew whilst on my 'test-ride' - no major or minor problems other than those I had already known about - deal done.
Hopefully see you all soon...

Jas
Old 17-Dec-2004, 17:29
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally posted by S.P
The history with the bike showed it had a belt change and service in 99, but when I checked the belts it had still got the old ones on with the white righting. When I picked it up I went for a test ride and gave it a bit of stick through the gears, scary or what!

Make sure you get those belts changed pretty soon - especially as they are the old ones, which are the dodgy ones!

The fact that the bike has been sitting for so long without the engine running means that the belts will have been stretched in the same place for years, so it is very likely that they will have weak spots in them now ... you don't want to go thrashing it with those and have a belt break or jump!!

But I'm sure you knew that.
Old 17-Dec-2004, 20:08
Mille

Mood: Erratic
Done mate, picked it up yesterday and as a added bonus the sun was shinning and there was even a dry line!