Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Feb-2005, 00:20
Mille

Mood: Need spares
Battery problems

Has anybody experienced battery problems with their 2004 749/999.

I've been having starting problems and have had to have the battery replaced for the 2nd time under warranty. Also been using an optimate which flagged the old battery green but come to start and it managed a couple of slow turns of the engine and thats about it.

tricky.
Old 10-Feb-2005, 00:27
GTL

Mood: me in a mood? NEVER!
i had and turned out to be a relay near the battery and was because i had ridden it in heavy rain (wasnt my choice but got caught out in it) they replaced the battery cos was under warrenty but still did it so turned out to be the relay , dont know what the relays is for but they opened it up and it was full of water. dont know if thats any help but worth a try.
Old 10-Feb-2005, 00:32
Mille

Mood: Need spares
The dealers mentioned they replaced another part aswell. But I was outside in the wind so didnt hear the call to well. It might be the relay thats got swapped also. Will find out on Friday when the bikes is returned and serviced aswell

tricky.
Old 12-Feb-2005, 20:55
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
The gel batteries fitted to modern Dukes seem to be unreliable.
My 999 had to have a new one under warranty and have just been to look at Scully's 1000SS with a dead 'un.
Old 12-Feb-2005, 20:58
Big Twin

Mood: This is a carbon free zone!
Quote:
Originally posted by KeefyB
The gel batteries fitted to modern Dukes seem to be unreliable.
My 999 had to have a new one under warranty and have just been to look at Scully's 1000SS with a dead 'un.

These new gel batteries seem to give you no warning at all,fine one minute,dead the next
Old 13-Feb-2005, 11:26
Mille

Mood: Sparks will fly. If it keeps on
Hi My broyher and me both use optimate battery systems. He plugs his in every time he comes home after a ride, i plug mine in once in a blue moon. He has had two batterys to date, i have had the same battery for ages. Both use the gel type batterys. I don't think the optimate helps in the long run.
Old 13-Feb-2005, 18:40
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Red One
Hi My broyher and me both use optimate battery systems. He plugs his in every time he comes home after a ride, i plug mine in once in a blue moon. He has had two batterys to date, i have had the same battery for ages. Both use the gel type batterys. I don't think the optimate helps in the long run.
You are right there mate.The gel batteries are best charged off the bikes alternator.
Old 13-Feb-2005, 20:13
Big Twin

Not only gel batteries, I'd say. I reckon the best battery charger is "no battery charger". Just ride the thing a decent distance regularly, and I reckon the battery'll be fine. I've got an Optimate, but I seldom use it. I've had batteries fail on me (gel type and conventional) but there's always been an external cause; either mal-functioning rect/regulator, or alarm woes

Not doubting you, KeefyB, but what I read on the other thread about scully's bike: 12.7V seems quite a high reading for a faulty battery. If my battery read 12.7 V <disappears off to check battery>...

Hmm, 12.9V. But then I just rode 25 miles a few hours ago. But point is, I'd normally say 12.7V was quite healthy. Obviously didn't guarantee the battery was up to the job in this case, though.

[Edited on 13-2-2005 by moto748]
Old 13-Feb-2005, 21:18
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by moto748
Not only gel batteries, I'd say. I reckon the best battery charger is "no battery charger". Just ride the thing a decent distance regularly, and I reckon the battery'll be fine. I've got an Optimate, but I seldom use it. I've had batteries fail on me (gel type and conventional) but there's always been an external cause; either mal-functioning rect/regulator, or alarm woes

Not doubting you, KeefyB, but what I read on the other thread about scully's bike: 12.7V seems quite a high reading for a faulty battery. If my battery read 12.7 V <disappears off to check battery>...

Hmm, 12.9V. But then I just rode 25 miles a few hours ago. But point is, I'd normally say 12.7V was quite healthy. Obviously didn't guarantee the battery was up to the job in this case, though.

[Edited on 13-2-2005 by moto748]
Hmm yeah,but having over 12V across the terminals is not always a sign of a good battery.Watch the voltage drop as you press the starter button.In the old days of lead-acids you'd wip out your hydrometer and test the specific gravity to see if the battery was healthy.
I still reckon Scullys battery is cream crackered.It will prime the injectors and energise the solenoid but it aint got enough oomph to turn the motor and light the fires.
Just to test the starter motor I connected it directly to the battery.With the ignition off the motor would turn.Connect everything back up and,.....click.......nothing.
Didnt I read somewhere that you ideally need 13.5V to power the injectors/ignition and starter motor?
Old 13-Feb-2005, 23:52
Big Twin

Mood: This is a carbon free zone!
Quote:
Originally posted by KeefyB

In the old days of lead-acids you'd wip out your hydrometer and test the specific gravity to see if the battery was healthy.

Still do