Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.
View Poll Results: Which make of tyre would you choose to race on
Pirelli 25 64.10%
Metzeller 2 5.13%
Bridgestone 5 12.82%
Michelin 5 12.82%
Dunlop 0 0%
Avon 0 0%
Maxxis 2 5.13%
Continental 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-Apr-2009, 02:19
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
think a reality check is needed; this is club racing at its cheapest form

Give that man a round of applause!!!

Bradders for PM.
Old 23-Apr-2009, 07:30
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
at the risk of upsetting some...why should DD get a better deal than any other race series? The way I undertsand it, Pirelli do us more of a favour than we do them. Without them, control tyres would not be possible and DD would probably not still be alive

in terms of cost, £160 is cheap for tyres! What do slicks and wets cost? and what about better rubber? I'm looked at a pair of super corsa and the thick end of over £200

think a reality check is needed; this is club racing at its cheapest form

Well said Paul.

To set your self up with a generator and a set of tyre warmers will cost a minimum of £400, then if you addd to that the cost of a set of wets and a set o wheels and discs to go with them another £400, so a total of £800 give or take the fact you have bought new/second hand or scrounged off a racer mate.
Now what else could that money have been spent on over a season.
A full top end strip and rebuild???
Tyres for the season???
Spare set of fairings, clipons, rearsets etc
A hire van for the season??

It has been proved that tyre warmers are NOT needed with a good quality road tyre.
It has been proved that the tyre is DAMN good in the wet, after all it is a road tyre.

If anything as riders you should be pushing your rider reps's to get a meeting with New Era and the DD rep to ask for TWO warm up laps, problem solved, tyres nice and warm and ready to race. Worked for the R6 Cup lads and many other series.

Chris
Old 23-Apr-2009, 14:35
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
No one seems to take on why we don't use a Z rated, they are available and cheaper and equally as good. They were raced on previous with no adverse effects.
Old 23-Apr-2009, 15:41
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
No one seems to take on why we don't use a Z rated, they are available and cheaper and equally as good. They were raced on previous with no adverse effects.

I did offer one suggestion here
http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...t=78904&page=5

But it may have been over looked by some

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Or could ZR rated ones be getting cheaper as Pirelli have now replaced them with the ZR rated Diablo Rosso, it could be that the ZR rated ones are older stock that is being sold off.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 23-Apr-2009, 17:04
MotoGP God

We're not te only ones discussing tyres

Person with a triumph TT600 wants to know what to do now the Pirelli Diablo has been discontinued
(on a TT600 it would be ZR rated)
http://www.triumphrat.net/biker-hang...ablo-rear.html

This one made me laugh
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=163748

Old 23-Apr-2009, 22:06
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p
Well said Paul.

To set your self up with a generator and a set of tyre warmers will cost a minimum of £400, then if you addd to that the cost of a set of wets and a set o wheels and discs to go with them another £400, so a total of £800 give or take the fact you have bought new/second hand or scrounged off a racer mate.

agreed. i'm putting together my next race bike at the mo, and this year, unless it's sunny i will be stuck of course it's always sunny so i will be fine

i thought my washing machine had bust the other week, which was going to be my wets/spare wheels budget all gone and i shall be blagging as much as i can in the way of tyre warmers etc, and ideally only going to rounds where there is a garage because there is no denying it's a lot of extra money for all the extra kit required. my choice though

i think for a newbie, taking all the tyre decisions away is brilliant. we know that the fast guys/girls are doing fantastic inspiring things on the control tyres. i was talking to someone recently about the racing i had done in the past, and it took me quite a while to convince him what we were racing on and the times the fast folks were setting.

i am trying to get my head round all the different tyres i can have for my 400, and it gives me a headache just thinking about it

£800 would buy a lot of test days/track days/extra races which imho is what helps newbies the most
Old 24-Apr-2009, 01:48
500SD

I guess on this forum i'm just a membership number ?
But this forum is so quiet because it's the same old few shooting to bits
anyone who dare post against the chosen few ...Clique springs to mind!
I have noticed most of the posts are from... dare i say unpaid members!!
But i will carry on paying £40 a year to ride in DD..................

Kev i convinced you knocking off Mr Pirelli's Daughter

Now tell me you are a better racer than a certain PB test rider... who dare i say praised up Maxxis tyres......... But know doudt you have raced on them
Old 24-Apr-2009, 04:58
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Duke
Now tell me you are a better racer than a certain PB test rider... who dare i say praised up Maxxis tyres......... But know doudt you have raced on them

But...does that PB rider use them in the BSB, BSS, TT, Macua?

Does anyone on track currently use them??

I'd like a better reason to use them than 'they are cheaper and more readily available'.

It is easy for a mainly silent minority to suggest a mainly silent majority is a clique, or maybe as has been suggested the majority are trying to protect a proven formula.??

But keep the tyre debate going, 5 years on it still remains healthy.
Old 24-Apr-2009, 05:16
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
As long as the H rated Diablos are still available and the cost of them doesn't start to become that of super sticky rubber then I am all for keeping them as they work.

I would see no issue with allowing both the H and ZR if that helps to keep the supply up and the prices keen.

Personal preference is to allow wets, but that's just because I am **** in the wet on Diablos so it's purely selfish

although i have tyres warmers etc anyway I can't really see a benefit to them in DD whilst we are sticking with the sensible road tyres that heat up quick. I do think requesting an additional warm up lap would be a good plan, just for the psychological side if nothing else.
Old 24-Apr-2009, 16:21
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Duke
Kev i convinced you knocking off Mr Pirelli's Daughter

Is she nice

No not quite
But when its 10am in the morning on the Isle of Man and your bike is lined up on Glencrutchery Road, the rider is just about to take off down Bray Hill on New Tyres at full blat, no tyre warmers, no warm up lap just a 150 mile, 1hr 20min 4 lap race ahead of him then it was the Pirellis he trusted his life to as did the majority of other riders.

I must look into seeing what Guy Martin has been using at the TT