Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Mar-2005, 19:31
Mille
Bikes: Ducati ST2

Mood: Fruity
track bike

I'm looking for a track bike for the summer, either a 749 or 748. My other options are the cheaper GSX 750 & Ninja 10r.
I currently run a ST2 for commuting, I tried it on track, and yes it did show up some 600s but clearance and pure power was an issue.

Any of you guys want to convince me not to stray to the dark(japanese) side????
Old 22-Mar-2005, 19:51
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
My Cat C road going 916BP will soon be for sale at £3k or a tad more with the 748R slipper. Which is about the same price as my GSXR600K2 Race bike.
Not sure what you would pay for a 749 trackbike
Old 22-Mar-2005, 19:58
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Blimey Moozad, you must use a lot of lean angle if you're running out of clearance. I've had a couple of goes in the fast group on my ST2 and haven't had anything touch down apart from my toe sliders when I've not got my boot back far enough on the pegs, and I've grazed the pegs a few times but nothing major.

You're right about the power, although I don't find it too much of an issue if you choose your circuits carefully.

I wouldn't go for a 748/749 if I was you - unless you go for an expensive 'R' because (and the 748 owners are gonna hate me for this) you can usually keep up with 748's quite easily on an ST2. The ST has less top end but more grunt out of corners. Given equal riders the 748/9 will always pull away, but perhaps not give you the sort of performance gains you're looking for, they are there, but the difference is not amazing.

I would forget the 749/999 as well - too new to make a trackday bargain.

If I wanted a Duke purely as a trackday bike and one that would still come in a few grand short of a ZX10 I'd start looking at early 996's. If you shop around you should be able to get one for £4 - 5K
Old 22-Mar-2005, 20:02
Mille

Mood: i would love a RS in my garage
Why not just buy a new 999 '05 like i did and just use it for track..
Your gonna love it..

Which reminds me, i've got a brand new wiring solution fra speedo to ECu
for sale..

Flemse
Old 22-Mar-2005, 20:53
Mille

Jools, I'm not convinced it was the foot pegs that were scraping. The exhausts were on the high setting so it might have been the centre stand.
I really didn't want to go to a litre 4v but if inline 4cyl 600s and 750 twins are about the same power, I might as well run the ST2 into the ground before I upgrade. I don't think I have the technique or experience to handle a 1 litre sports bike yet.
What would be ideal is a v-twin that makes 100-120bhp and has more clearance than the ST range.

[Edited on 22-3-2005 by moozaad]

Old 22-Mar-2005, 20:57
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
I know where's there's a nice 2002 748R for sale, lady owner!
Old 22-Mar-2005, 21:22

Just a thought, but if its a v twin your after, maybe an aprillia mille would make a good buy!!

You can get them worth the money and speaking from experience they are very reliable.

Stonking engine too!

Also, you woulnt be converting to the 'Dark side'
Old 23-Mar-2005, 13:54
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by moozaad
What would be ideal is a v-twin that makes 100-120bhp and has more clearance than the ST range.

Like I said then mate, a 996 Bip should do you nicely or a 748R if you like your bikes a bit more revvy. The R would be more of a thoroughbred though and may need a bit more regular fettling.
Old 24-Mar-2005, 00:08
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally posted by moozaad
Jools, I'm not convinced it was the foot pegs that were scraping. The exhausts were on the high setting so it might have been the centre stand.
I really didn't want to go to a litre 4v but if inline 4cyl 600s and 750 twins are about the same power, I might as well run the ST2 into the ground before I upgrade. I don't think I have the technique or experience to handle a 1 litre sports bike yet.

Sounds to me like you are looking for an ST4S mate-take the center stand off, jack up the rear, and voila, comfy race bike............

John
Old 24-Mar-2005, 09:39
Mille

tbh it had crossed my mind but isn't it just a 916 with a big seat?