Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Feb-2006, 23:17
Mille

clutch thinkness

I want to know the wear limit for my clutch, I have a workshop manual for my 04 999s but it shows a asbestos clutch and my bike has what I would discribe as a metel clutch, a steel plate with metel eletronicaly put on, I dont think it was ever the thickness the workshop manual says,
Old 20-Feb-2006, 00:11
Mille

Mood: Bring the noise!
Try this:

Clutch Problem
Old 20-Feb-2006, 02:30
Mille

it's not much help, I need the wear limit for the friction plates.
thanks though
Old 20-Feb-2006, 09:26
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
for mine clutch to edge of basket is between 4.5 and 5mm to be acceptable for the clutch pack, but I don't know for individual plates.
Old 20-Feb-2006, 09:48
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lily
for mine clutch to edge of basket is between 4.5 and 5mm to be acceptable for the clutch pack, but I don't know for individual plates.

But do you have a slipper? Does bike mad? what sort of clutch, what sort of plates and basket? The individual plate tolerances are in the haynes manual......its outside, ill come back to you!
Old 04-Apr-2006, 22:04
Mille

it's the thickness, of each plate,ie the friction material wears away whats the limit, and it's a standard clutch,I think but it's not the one there show in my ducati workshop manual, the plates that is, the rest is the same,
Old 04-Apr-2006, 22:23
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
The stock plates have a wear limit of 2.7mm I think?? It's more important, IMO, to check the wear is even on both sides though and that the friction material is not delaminating from the backing plate.
Old 04-Apr-2006, 23:29
Mille

thanks nelly your a trooper, I'll keep an eye open for uneven wear, is that for the metal type friction plates a steel plate with metal eletronicaly put on,, I cant rember what mine are but I think that's a bit thick, is there a special plate like I describe as I have a workshop manual and the plate they show in there is not like mine,
Old 04-Apr-2006, 23:52
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
There are two types of plate in the clutch. The friction plates and the plain steel plates. All the friction plates are the same. There are three types of plain steel plate. 2mm thick, 1.5mm and a 1.5mm dished plate. There is usually one dished plate in the pack, near the back. It's usually bright finished and there is a dot punched in the face near the half round cutout in the perimeter. The other plates are used to build the pack thickness out, varying the quantity of 2mm and 1.5mm plates allows for the wear in the friction plates to be compensated for.
The friction plates can have two types of friction material on them. Organic types are bonded (glued) on and, more commonly, sintered types are the "electronically" applied type you speak of. Sintering is carried out by prssing the friction material in place under very high pressures and then bonding in place using heat (lots of it).
The pictures in the manuals tend to be "generic" and require "interpretation" to make sense of them.
The 2.7mm wear limit refers to the stock clutches where 6 or 7 friction plates are used. SPS's for instance use 8 thinner plates..................
It gets confusing hereonin
Inspect the friction plates with your common sense glasses on. Look for uneven wear, and the friction pads breaking up. Look at the plain steel plates for signs of slippage.
Build the pack up in your hand and measure it's thickness (not your hand ) it should be 35 - 36mm. If it's too thin, replace a 1.5mm plate with a 2mm and vice versa.
the pack build up, for a conventional clutch, is 2 plain plates, a friction, then the dished plate with dot facing outwards, then alternate the plates until you finish with a plain plate. This protects the pressure plate from wearing out on a friction plate.

you did ask
Old 05-Apr-2006, 10:14
500SD

well described!!