Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Mar-2005, 21:49
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Speeding / Police Pilot advice and help required

Hi,

Recently stopped by the police for speeding and was hoping that someone may have some advice on Police Pilot that may help me. I have heard of stories of not being accurate, human error etc

In short I came off an island and accelerated along a dual carriage way and was pulled over 1 mile later. Copper claimed that he'd timed me over 0.6 of a mile at speeds up to 125mph and that my average was 102mph. His fixed marks were a "Road Scar" and a "change in road surface". Now I know I was speeding and will admit to 90 ... but I don't think I went from 30 odd to 125 and back down to 60mph and still managed a 102mph average all in 0.6 mile.

He did not caution me, inform me that he would summons me or sit me in the car to discuss this. He gave me a producer and made 4 mistakes filling it in.

I've now received a summons and the copper has lied through his teeth on it and signed it as a true statement.

I'm in court at the start of May and hoped that someone may have some advice that may help me with this case. I know that the police pilot relies on human input and have heard of errors being made .... does anyone have any hard evidence of this ?
Old 27-Mar-2005, 22:07
500SD

How much you selling the bike for

Sorry cant help ypu with this, but i would contact a solicitor sharpish
Old 27-Mar-2005, 22:08
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Is it on video?
Old 27-Mar-2005, 22:10
Big Twin

Not on video and I already have a solicitor on the case ... but any more help will be appreciated.

And no the bike will not go up for sale, either a nice addition to the living room or track days here I come.
Old 27-Mar-2005, 22:14
Big Twin

So he didn't warn you of any impending prosection and he didnt caution you at all?
Old 27-Mar-2005, 22:17
Big Twin

No not when he stopped me, but, on the summons that came trough the post it says he did both and he signed it as his statement of the event.
Old 27-Mar-2005, 22:27
Big Twin

Im sure you and your brief are well aware that he should have cautioned you and given you the notice of intended prosecution.

On what date were you stopped and on what date did you receive the summons?
What force are we talking about?
Old 27-Mar-2005, 22:32
Big Twin

I looked in to all the issues of giving NIP (Notice of Intent to Prosecute). Officially it took them around 6 weeks to send me the summons which I know is too long, but, the police officer has said in his statement that he issued me a verbal NIP at the time. This is a complete lie but it's his word against mine.

The policeman in question is based at Chesterfield in Derbyshire.
Old 27-Mar-2005, 22:36
Big Twin

May be worthwhile identifying and measuring the "road scar" and change in surface that he measured you against, just for your own records of course.
Best of luck with the rest of it.
Then do your own maths on acceleration etcetera.
Mate of mine was accused pulling out, of accelerating to over 70 and then stopping for two policemen on foot, all within a couple of hundred yards. Needles to say.....the copper changed his statement to a mile measured distance.

[Edited on 27-3-2005 by guest1]
Old 27-Mar-2005, 22:37
Big Twin

Coppers don't caution everytime they're supposed to, as for the NIP, I wouldn't like to comment.

Yeah, technically the NIP isnt necessary if the summons is to be issued within 14 days, but, as you say, its probably gonna be your word against his in court, and who's the magistrate more likely to believe? Speeding biker or law-abiding copper? :P