Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Aug-2005, 01:42
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
any one done mod - underslung rear brake caliper 749

Has any one done the mod to mount the rear brake caliper caliper under the swingarm rather than above

Considering this as an option as I like the look.

Is it just a case of using a different mounting bracket or is there more to it ?

It looks as though you have to reverse the brake fluid inlet to the caliper and bleed valve for this to work. Is there any issues with doing this ?

Speedo pick up looks as though it should mount in the same place.

[Edited on 8-8-2005 by Carbon749]

[Edited on 8-8-2005 by Carbon749]
Old 08-Aug-2005, 08:30
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Hmm,not sure what you would get out of doing this,...apart from looking differant.(I guess you want the 'works' bike look).
I recon the easiest way is to use the origional mounting plate and alter it to fit.The bit that locates on the swingarm could be sawn off and welded on the other side.Should just be a matter of bolting it on upside down.
Dont know whether the brake line or speedo sensor cable will be long enough tho!
Old 08-Aug-2005, 10:39
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
JHP do a conversion with a Brembo or AP caliper ... Cost around £500 with the AP not sure about the brembo. I'm sure you could mod the oe one to do the same thing ! I think you can just get the arm from Ducati. nine.
Old 08-Aug-2005, 10:44
Mille

Mood: Will my DD fit in a Fiat Scudo?
The bleed nipple shouldn't be a problem just bleed the caliper off the bike the bolt it back on. I have to do this with the willwood calipers on the race car as they have 4 bleed nipples.
Old 08-Aug-2005, 13:34
Big Twin

The intent of underslung rear brake was to reduce the "skipping" as experienced under heavy braking on earlier models (superlight MK1 et al) + it looked goooooood.
Certainly worked on my superlight but so far I have been unable to get the back end skipping on the 999
FWIW - I have an original MK1 Superlight rear brake bracket if anyone wants it to return their Superlight to original - free to DSC, cost to others.
Old 08-Aug-2005, 16:16
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Wasn't there a recent thread here to the effect that Ducati has gone back to the over-the-swingarm caliper to eliminate certain sponginess issues?
Old 09-Aug-2005, 00:13
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Must admit the main reason for the mod is to get the "factory look". As for back end skipping etc, can't say I use the back brake heavy enough to make it skip.

I know that Ducati nine has the underslung bracket available for about £85 ish ..... just wondered if any one had done the mod.

If not, I may be the first and will let you know how it goes.