Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Jul-2006, 22:43
Montjuic

Fuel pump packed up?

My fuel pump is not pressurising when I switch the ignition on. Any ideas?

Thanks - Simon.
2000 900SS

Last edited by SMT : 07-Jul-2006 at 23:06.
Old 08-Jul-2006, 00:15
Montjuic

Mood: :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMT
My fuel pump is not pressurising when I switch the ignition on. Any ideas?

Thanks - Simon.
2000 900SS

Hi Simon,

there might be a few answers in this discussion, click here.

Cheers,

bambam
Old 08-Jul-2006, 10:13
Montjuic

Thanks for that, but the problem I have is that the fuel pump is not starting at all.

There is power getting to the connector to the tank, (tested it with a multimeter) but I have also connected the pump directly (through the same wiring) to the battery and nothing happens. I have just checked the Ducati parts catalogue and see that the wiring that comes out of the bottom of the tank is also part of the low fuel sensor wiring and that the fuel pump has a seperate connecter from this wiring. I guess I need to check the connector on the fuel pump itself and if that's o.k. I guess it's most likely the fuel pump.
Old 08-Jul-2006, 10:32
Montjuic

Before I start pulling things apart, in that thread you linked to, two small black relays are mentioned next to the ECU. I might be going blind, but all I can see on my bike is one large relay to the left and three fuses (two standard size and one large main fuse?) on the right. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks - Simon.
Old 12-Jul-2006, 08:55
Montjuic

I've found the root of the problem, not the fuel pump or relay, but the wiring that goes to the pump via the low fuel level sensor. There is no power getting through the positive lead with no obvious break in the wiring, so I guess I will have to replace the complete unit.

My first Italian bike and I get an electrics problem! :-) A bit Ironic but the last time a vehicle let me down it was Italian! A Lancia about 13 years ago!

Last edited by SMT : 13-Jul-2006 at 10:39.
Old 17-Jul-2006, 10:18
Montjuic

In case this is useful to anyone else in the future, I replaced the fuel level sensor with intergrated wiring for the fuel pump, bolted it all back together and I'm up and running again! :-)
Old 18-Jul-2006, 15:12
Montjuic

Mood: :)
Sorry about the long delay before replying, SMT, I've been away on holiday for a week.

Nice bit of info with the fuel level sensor upgrade. A number of us have had 'similar' problems with fuelling, so the more we can add to the list of things to check the better.

Happy riding,

bambam.