Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-May-2006, 12:23
Montjuic

900SS i.e. Luggage

Probably going to do a bit of touring this summer on my 900SS. What recommendations are out there for two up touring luggage?

Thanks - Simon.
Old 01-May-2006, 15:35
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Simon I did Spain a few years ago on a 900SS and had Oxford panniers across the back seat,thats fine soloing but with a passenger I don't think,especialy with your high exhausts. The Oxford tank bag worked well but's limitted to what you can carry in them. Last thing you want is your pillion to carry a large rucksack. Not sure if they do a Venturer kit for the SS,if they do then thats the road I would go down. 4D

Check this web site out click on the L bracket selection

http://www.sounddistribution.co.uk/p...?recnumber=218

[Edited on 1-5-2006 by Fordie]
Old 01-May-2006, 16:23
Montjuic

Thanks. Should have mentioned that I would re-fit the standard exhausts to go touring.
Old 02-May-2006, 14:32
Montjuic

Something like this looks like it would do the job.
Old 02-May-2006, 15:08
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
I used to have a Venture bag and rack fitted to my 750ss (see attachment). The Ventura stuff was good, and I left the rack stubs attached all the time, so that didn't do a lot for the looks of the bike. Only complaints I had is that the Ventura bag couldn't be fitted as directed when no pillion , that is with the bag resting on the pillion seat itself. This was due to the grab rail getting in the way. When the bag stuck out over the back of the bike (like in the attached picture) I had to keep a heavy duty plastic lining in the bottom of it to keep out the water.

Now on my 900ss I just used Oxford panniers and a tank bag. If I'm not carrying a pillion I can also bungi extra items to the seat behind me.

But it's a bit Catch-22 - when carrying a pillion, invariably they seem to want to carry more stuff!

Complaints? No matter how careful you are, the tank bag will overtime leave scratches on the tank, although I believe there is some special blanket that can be put down first. The panniers also take some lateral thinking the first time you try to fit them. After the first couple of attempts though it seems to work out OK.
Old 02-May-2006, 15:55
Montjuic

Looking promising :-) Which Oxford panniers do you use?