Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Aug-2006, 13:24
Montjuic

Insurance claim advice

I had a cheque in the post this morning for £2500 from my insurance for my 2000 'W' reg 900 SSie that was stolen a few weeks ago. I paid £3000 for it 4 months ago and also had a Ducati Kaemna seat cover fitted which cost about £150. My excess was £250. The Parkers valuation from an independant dealer (which is where I bought it) is £3505, so I'm not impressed with a cheque for £2500, I was expecting around £2900. I sent them receipts for everything including the original bill of sale.

I've not had any experience of dealing with insurers regarding claims before, so can anyone offer any advice on how to try and get them to increase the settlement?

Thanks - Simon.
Old 08-Aug-2006, 13:45
Big Twin

Mood: DD 2006: 4th Top Rookie. DD 2007: 2nd Class B. DD 2008: 2nd Class B.
i dont think the insurance covers stuff you put on the bike unless you asked for it but its always worth a call or a letter to ask how they came to that desision
Old 08-Aug-2006, 13:59
Mille

Mood: THUNDERPANTS HERE I COME, NEW PANTS PLEASE :-0
Didnt they say beforehand how much they were going to offer you, normally they tell you so you can except or reject.
Normally i speak to the office after the claim adjuster has seen bike and do a deal then ............if you are not happy then dont accept first offer if it is clearly not the correct price.
Old 08-Aug-2006, 16:54
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Clegg
i dont think the insurance covers stuff you put on the bike unless you asked for it but its always worth a call or a letter to ask how they came to that desision

There was a section on the claim form for accessories fitted, so I assumed they were covered?

I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what the score is.

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-Aug-2006, 17:30
500SD

remember . . .

Its a negotiation - not a fight - if you are not happy - make a case - be cool - but keep pushing - if you are going to be happy with another £400 - it shouldnt be that difficult.

State, send, copy facts and make sure they have them as well!

Also remember that ins cos are there to make a profit and will duck and dive like anyones business.

Good Luck - NEGOTIATING!!!

Khushy
Old 09-Aug-2006, 13:17
Montjuic

Here is what happend.

I declared the value of the bike as £3000 as that's what I paid for it, so they tell me that is the maximum they will pay out. I thought the excess was £250, but it seems it was £250 plus £250 voluntary = £500. I had to enclose the bill of sale with the claim which was for £3000 so even if I had insured it for more they probably wouldn't have paid out more anyway. It's ended up costing me about £700 including the seat cover and other bits that were stolen with it.

Theiving scumbags - the scrots that stole it and the insurance company! :-(
Old 09-Aug-2006, 17:09
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
What's the '' voluntary '' bit about then? I don't think I've ever heard of that.

I hate it when people say '' What does it matter, you were insured weren't you''?

As you've proved, we still lose out even if we are covered by insurance.

As for the scumbags....Flog 'em and hang 'em I say. Can't do it again if they're dead can they?
Old 09-Aug-2006, 17:28
Shandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthy
What's the '' voluntary '' bit about then? I don't think I've ever heard of that.

You can lower your annual premium by increasing your exceses with a voluntary bit which adds to the compulsary part.

I think it's fair to say you allways loose out a bit when claiming off insurance companies but like others have said its a negotiation process, give them a call write a few letters and see if you can squeeze a bit more from them.