Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Feb-2006, 18:37
Mille

HELP NEEDED WITH CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT

I have small hands and with the span adjuster for the clutch lever set on the smallest setting the clutch wont fully disenguage making it impossible to select neutral.

If I set the span adjuster to the widest setting everything is OK but I can hardly reach the lever.

How do I go about adjusting it ?

ROACHMAN
Old 26-Feb-2006, 18:47
Big Twin

Mood: r
bleed it james .pop.undo the 4 screws of the cap,5mm spanner on the nut,undo,pump the air out.5 mins job. might cure it
Old 26-Feb-2006, 21:41
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Failing that get one of the after market master cylinders with a bigger diameter piston or lever ratio so that you can move more fluid for a small amount of lever movement, also various slave cylinders to look at that can improve things.
Old 27-Feb-2006, 09:47
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip

Mood: Carbonara
Errr...I'm may be wrong (usually am) but I think the aftermarket slave cylinders (Evoluzione etc) move a smaller amount of fluid for the same lever travel - this is why the lever effort is less.

I have one on my bike, and have slight issues with full disengagement at all but the widest lever span. (And I've bled and bled and bled and bled.......).

Please correct me if I'm wrong - don't be shy, everyone else does.

Spin
Old 27-Feb-2006, 09:57
Mille

Mood: Will my DD fit in a Fiat Scudo?
What about putting a washer under the slave piston this would lesson the volume of the fluid space and my help. Make sure its a large diameter washer so it doesnt tip over when the clutch lever is pulled as this will leave you with a permently disengaged clutch.

Caution this is only a suggestion and is untested as far as I know...
Old 27-Feb-2006, 20:01
Montjuic

Bleed it some more.
I too have small hands and use the clutch lever with the span set to minimum. I've got one of the after-market slave cylinders as well to make matters worse, but if its bled fully my clutch becomes fully dis-engaged way before the lever is against the bar...
Old 27-Feb-2006, 20:09
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Quote:
Originally posted by spinoli1
Errr...I'm may be wrong (usually am) but I think the aftermarket slave cylinders (Evoluzione etc) move a smaller amount of fluid for the same lever travel - this is why the lever effort is less.

Think the advice was to get a new MASTER cylinder on the bar's which will move more fluid than the standard one. Brembo radial type thing for about £190 ish.
Old 27-Feb-2006, 21:48
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Carbon749
Quote:
Originally posted by spinoli1

Think the advice was to get a new MASTER cylinder on the bar's which will move more fluid than the standard one. Brembo radial type thing for about £190 ish.

Yep my 996 runs a Brembo Radial Mastercylinder mated to a Tecmoto slave cylinder, not only can I have the span adjuster set so the lever is very close to the bars (Small hands) but also the action is very light.
Not sure of the piston diameter in the Tecmoto unit, but the standard 996 one is 22mm and STM offer a choice of 28mm and 30mm, so things can be tailored a bit.

As I don't have a 999R Fila rep (Or have you a new bike James as this is not in the 999 section) I don't know what diameter your Clutch Master cylinder is or how heavy the clutch springs are to cope with that sort of power, its not a problem I would expect on a standard production bike but limited additions can be a bit different.
Old 28-Feb-2006, 14:20
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip

Mood: Carbonara
Master cylinder.....MASTER cylinder.....Doh! I understand things so much better if they are written big.

See, I told you I may be wrong.

Now then, which way 'round does this power band go on.....