Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Jan-2005, 21:21
Big Twin

Chain Lube

Which is the best. Any Recomendations?
And whats the best way to clean and re lube my chain?
Cheers
Old 22-Jan-2005, 21:54
Big Twin

Mood: happy
I personally use Castrol chain wax. Use it the night before you go out that way it sticks to your chain and does'nt fly off all over your wheel.
You do know you will have minimum half a dozen different recommendations by tomorrow.
Old 22-Jan-2005, 21:56
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
hyPOID 90 gEARBOX OIL

BUT IT TAKES ME 2 HOURS TO CLEAN AND LUBE

but my gold chain looks so bling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22-Jan-2005, 22:01
Big Twin

Mood: happy
thats two
Old 22-Jan-2005, 22:36
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Three ...

A chain's o-ring or (x-ring) holds grease between the pins and the bushings where it's needed most to reduce wear. If you also externally apply lubrication to the chain, it gets between the bushings and the rollers and between your chain link plates and drive sprockets, so it can help somewhat to extend the chain life and protect against ozone damage to the o-rings. Your chain, with proper care, should last about 20,000 miles before wear begins to cause excessive or uneven stretching.

A motorcycle chain needs to be cleaned frequently because it accumulates road grit that causes wear. Kerosene is an o-ring compatible cleaner recommended by the chain manufacturers but WD-40 contains the kerosene-like Stoddard solvent is that is also o-ring safe. WD-40 also contains a low viscosity lubricating oil.

WD-40, used as a one-step cleaner and lubricant is sufficient. Because it is a light oil, some fling-off will occur, so any excess should be wiped-off. USED REGULARLY, it provides good corrosion protection, low (but not the lowest) rolling resistance, and attracts less road grit than waxy chain lubes. So your chain stays very clean.

If you’ve decided to use chain lube after cleaning your chain, then it’s best to use straight kerosene as your cleaner because the light oil that WD-40 contains will make it difficult for the chain lube to stay attached without flinging-off.

If you aren't inclined to clean and lube your chain regularly, or often ride in wet conditions, there are chain lubes on the market that are designed to stick to your chain to resist fling-off and provide longer-lasting corrosion protection. Some remain tacky and attract grit, some stay slippery to the touch. All of them need to cleaned off and renewed at some point.

You need to avoid damaging the o-rings and forcing solvents past the o-ring seal when you clean a chain. This means scrub using a toothbrush - not a wire brush - and avoid getting too close with pressure washers and compressed air nozzles. Avoid scouring if you want to keep the gold-look plated finish on your premium chain.
Old 23-Jan-2005, 00:09
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by adam
I personally use Castrol chain wax. Use it the night before you go out that way it sticks to your chain and does'nt fly off all over your wheel.
You do know you will have minimum half a dozen different recommendations by tomorrow.

I use castrol as well mate
Use to use pj1 but the castrol is the better one
Old 23-Jan-2005, 00:24
Mille

i used to use castrol but after a test in the comic i started using wurth cain wax got rated the best and its loads better than castrol stuff.
Old 23-Jan-2005, 00:56
Big Twin

I'm with Shazzam on this one...I've never used a chain wax on the duke (although I do use a version on the DR), as it makes such a mess/looks ****/and does turn into a grinding paste after a few miles use.

Regular cleaning with a rag/toothbrush and some WD40 = spotless chain and all the protection a good chain needs, and every few months through the summer, I just put a drop of light oil on each o-ring and then wipe off the excess just to keep things sweet. 10 minute job once the chain is clean.
Old 23-Jan-2005, 01:45
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Have to agree with Shazaam and Harv on this one - clean with WD40 and a very light oil to lube it every so often. Keeps the chain looking brand new and in top condition.

I've tried all sorts of stuff over the last 13+ years, from stuff that was silver and I was never able to get off the black wheels, to that horrible white 'n' crusty looking chain wax mess.
Old 23-Jan-2005, 20:46
Mille

Mood: .
i use the wurth dry chain lube stuff. Seems to do the trick.