Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 27-May-2005, 14:52
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I don't know whether age has anything to do with it (although it's difficult to tell how old somebody is when they've got a lid on), but my son got pulled over when he was driving his mum's Smart car through Milton Keynes.

He got a producer and a real dressing down from a very snotty and sarcastic PC (his mum was in the passenger seat at the time). He wasn't speeding or anything. His crime? Well, despite it being a clear sunny day, my wifes's Smart is equipped with a 'light pack' (didn't really want it, it just came with the car they had in stock). The 'light pack' makes the Smart think it's a Volvo and switches the dipped beam on as soon as you start driving. Apparently, one of the headlamp bulbs was out - funnily enough it was OK when they got home.
Old 27-May-2005, 14:56
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
jools - wasnt wearing a hoody was he??
Old 27-May-2005, 15:00
Dibble

Quote:
Originally posted by Rushjob
So where did I insinuate he was daft?

Rushjob,

In defence of Derek here (and I don't know him at all) I think that you and I have read completely different replies from the man.

I read a reply that outlined where his confidence in the digital speedo came from with a tongue in cheek remark at the end about his son. Which I read more as being a way of injecting something a little lighthearted into proceeding than a dig at you, although I appreciate the response was aimed at you.

I think if you re-read it you may see where I am coming from.

You are a highly respected member of the club and at time have given invaluable advice to people as a result of your occupation.

Please do not mistakenly read a single post and change that, as thats what I believe you may have done.

Apologies if this seems like a lecture but we need all the strong memberes we can get.

Derek,

Best of luck mate.
Old 27-May-2005, 15:03
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Quote:
Originally posted by Rushjob
So where did I insinuate he was daft?
I gave you a hint as to how to be CERTAIN that you were on solid ground.
To be sure of your position, you need to know how accurate / inaccurate it was, not a feeling.
I'll keep my thoughts to myself in future.
Good luck.

Rushjob,

Sorry If you feel offended. I didn't mean to imply that you said he was daft. I mean't only to imply that he has some degree of common sense and that upon seeing the police he made sure that he wasn't speeding. Thanks for your input and please don't feel that you should keep your thoughts to yourself - I'd rather hear them.
Old 27-May-2005, 15:22
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Quote:
Originally posted by guest1
Derek, quick search revealed:
research
item B.2.f re estimation of speed.
(not with the lights on though but it does refer to Hills measurements?)

[Edited on 27-5-2005 by guest1]

Thanks Alan. Thats the sort of thing I'm looking for.
Old 27-May-2005, 17:48
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
If he got a Producer, it will have a collar number on it. Why not speak to that Officer to find out, a) what he says happened, and b) what that Officer is going to do about what?

Was your son interviewed? was he cautioned? was he offered the opportunity for legal advise? was he reported? Was he NIp'd? Did he sign anything? If he was charged, wheres his copy of the charge? What did he do that was careless in the couple of hundred yards after rounding the bend to the officers? What evidence do they have of the speed?

[Edited on 27-5-2005 by andyb]

[Edited on 27-5-2005 by andyb]
Old 27-May-2005, 20:37
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by bradders
jools - wasnt wearing a hoody was he??

Nah...Didn't want to brag, but since he's just doing his finals after 4 years at Brasenose College, Oxford he's not really the hoody type. Thankfully, he's not a speccy swot or a hooray either. Just a normal looking and pretty mature 22 year old.
Old 27-May-2005, 23:06
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
I know it may not help, but, I was stopped for speeding mid 2004. Forgetting the actual speeding part for a moment, the officer that stopped me entered a statement in to court that said he had shown me the speed reading on the police pilot, that he had cautioned me and that he advised me that I would be prosecuted.

He did non of these but his signed statement says he did

My solicitor pointed out that for the court to side with me would be admitting they thought the officer was lying and there was little to no chance of that.

From my experience if the police want to stretch the truth to suit them there is very little you will be able to do.

All that said, to give a balanced argument, this is the first time in 20 years of driving / riding that I have experienced this type of behavior from the police.

Hope it all works out for your son.
Old 28-May-2005, 07:43
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
Quote:
All coppers are barstewards right enough

Not wishing to condone thew police in this particular incedent however i do dissagree with the above comment.

Having flown into stansted airport at 11.00 oclock at night, hired a car for the trip up to lincolnshire, and traveling between the A1 and lincoln was caught behind a stupid driver in a white van who at my every attempt to overtake would pull slowly over to the right causing me to brake and drop back, going through the small village of Ruskington i took my chance on a small stright part of the road to overtake, not noticing that a car in front of the van that had just pulled out of a side street was a police car, on go the blues and i dully pull over, knowing full well one, i had been speeding , and two i had overtaken on a solid white line.

I pulled up behind the police car and got out ready to face the inevitable however after explaing the situation to the officer to my supprise he suggested that i continue my jorney at a more sedate speed and wished me good night.

2 miles further on at a particular sharp left hander i saw the tail lights of the van i had passed which had continued ahead after i was stopped, however they were 5 foot higher in the air than they should have been and not moving ? as i drew closer i could see he had continued in a straight line and now had his bonnet burried in the ditch with his back wheels a good 4 foot off the ground, fortunatly as the police car was not 100 meters behind me help was at hand for the unfortunate driver and after stoping and waiting for the police car to catch up the officer simply waved me on my way while he no doubt took charge of the situation.

Ok a long winded post i know, but i just wanted to make a point that not everyone should be tared with the same brush, there is too much of that going on and not just with the police, as bike riders we suffer from attitudes that go back to the 60s of mod and rockers, we live with the stigma from thouse days that all who ride bikes are mindless law breaking hooligans, so we have enough to contend with as it is, without making similar comments towards the police.
Old 28-May-2005, 10:51
Big Twin

Mood: Waiting for the change (Not the menopause)
Bionicle, well said.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit